Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Hard Drive recovery - PCB swap question

Nov 19, 2005 2:52PM PST

I have a Western Digital 250GB hard drive (WD2500JB-00FUA0), and the PCB shorted out, so the drive no longer works. Before going into expensive data recovery, I'm attempting to find an exact match to replace the PCB (2061-001179-000 DE), which I have been told is absolutely necessary.

One guy I e-mailed said he didn't have that PCB, but he would change the ROM settings on another one so that it would allow me to recover my data. I haven't heard of that method. Again, I thought your new PCB had to exactly match your old one. Anyone know if/how changing the ROM settings could work, as he suggests?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Try it.
Nov 19, 2005 9:28PM PST

Still a cheap option compared to most data recovery charges. You could do this 10 times and still pay less if it works.

Bob

- Collapse -
What about a PCB where one letter is different? So close!!!!
Nov 20, 2005 6:09AM PST

I'll try that ROM option. Also, I found one HD for sale that has this PCB:

2061-001179-000 DD

The one I'm trying to replace is:

2061-001179-000 DE

The only difference is the last letter, a D instead of an E. Think there's a chance that PCB could work with my HD? Could that one letter be a major difference? I'll probably try it anyway, but I could use some more advice just in case. Thank you!

- Collapse -
PC3000 ISA
Nov 22, 2005 12:57AM PST

Try to using PC3000 ISA or PCI restore firmware and ROM file.....