General discussion

Hard Drive RAM advertised to be 256 MB only listed as 224

My RAM is supposed to be 256 MB RAM, but I'm only getting 224 MB. Because of this, I cannot buy a new game with the minimum requirements being 256 MB. Is there any fix to this besides buying more memory?

I have a Compaq Presario 6020 computer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Hard Drive RAM advertised to be 256 MB only listed as 224
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hard Drive RAM advertised to be 256 MB only listed as 224
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Missing RAM

Your onboard display controller is eating up 32 MB of RAM.

You can either buy more RAM or disable the onboard video and buy a video card.

Personally, I think you'd get more utility out of more RAM.

John

- Collapse -
Missing RAM

First of all, if you didn't already know this, "hard drive" and RAM are two totally different things.

I agree, the first thing that comes to mind is that built-in video on the motherboard is using 32 MB of RAM. Getting more RAM is one thing, but have you checked the video requirements of the game? A lot of new games aren't likely to be playable, or even run at all, on a built-in video chipset.

And if you have a separate video card, check the BIOS settings if you can and see if there is anything about built-in video (eg. an option to disable it) or shared memory.

James

- Collapse -
Both

If you're into gaming, you need to do both things suggested. Buy more RAM AND get an actual video card.

You should have a minimum of 512MB of RAM, and at least a 64MB video card, AGP or PCI-X. Integrated video chipsets are always low-end performers, and will never handle new games well. You'll want to read some hardware review sites to look for the best card in your budget range, because while generally speaking cheaper means lower performing, there are time sensitive exceptions to that rule. On the RAM front, consider that the game itself wants 256MB, but you've still got the operating system, any other apps, and all their overhead to contend with as well. Having an extra 256MB or more will just make things run all the smoother.

CNET Forums

Forum Info