PC Hardware forum

General discussion

hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)

i got a nasty virus last week. luckily i have two hard drives. a 40gb and a 20gb. problem is i do a lot of video editing and the 40gb drive will no longer function. my pc wont even recognize it is there. however, when i press f2 after rebooting i can see that it is there. bbut when i hit my computer it doesnt exist. i need that 40gb drive to save all the home movies and what not to. any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)

In reply to: hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)

The next step is to look in Device Manager to see if the drive is enabled and working properly.

I'd tell you where to find it, but you didn't say what operatiing system your using, or anything else about the machine.

Collapse -
PC can't find drive

In reply to: hard drive problems (pc wont recognize it)

Please provide system and hardware details plus the OS that is installed. The more info provided, the easier it is to find a solution. Thanks.

Collapse -
tried everything getting desperate

In reply to: PC can't find drive

i have windows xp on a dell deminsion 4600. i have checked the device manager and it does not show up there. i have also put it in a spare pc, and it shows up on it, but you cant install anything. its sitting in my freezer right now cause i read that could help. i hope i am not gullible and just really messed it up, but me and a friend have tried everything else. ii know i had it hooked up properly. it makes no sense.

Collapse -
you have nasty friend

In reply to: tried everything getting desperate

Don't put HD in freezer!!! Condensation can kill the HD. You can pop some sealed electronics, too. Get it out, NOW!

Collapse -
you have nasty friend (revisited)

In reply to: you have nasty friend

CORRECTION:
I guess your friend is not nasty if he/she wants to make a last desperate attempt to get some data off it. However, if you are planning to use this drive on a regular basis for storage, as you suggested, you are looking for trouble. Get a new hard disk for holding videos while editing and get a DVD+/-RW (dual layer) drive for $40 for more depandable storage.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) does it make any sound or is there just power?

In reply to: tried everything getting desperate

Collapse -
HD

In reply to: (NT) does it make any sound or is there just power?

it spins and takes the power, it just wont do anything else.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!