PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard drive problems

Hi, My computer crashed in the night and when i try to restart it i get the message that windows did not shut down properly.... and asks how i should start windows - safe mode, last known config, normal ect. Regardless of which of these a choose the boot fails and the computer restarts. In safe mode, the last line it shows is the driver agp440.sys.

I have tried the recovery console to disable this driver but lstsvc doesnt list anything and i can't disable agp440 via "disable agp440". If i try and reinstall windows, in the list of available discs to install to, the harddrive isn't there.

I can't figure out if the drive has just had it or not. It just doesnt make sense that it can load a bunch of drives during boot, but yet it doesn't reconised the drive at all in installation.

Any help with this matter would be great.

Im running win xp pro sp2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few tips

In reply to: Hard drive problems

Try running with only one memory stick.

Can you boot into the BIOS? It's like Delete or one of the "F" keys, like F12 or something. If you get there, is the hard drive seen there?

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
nope

In reply to: A few tips

no i cant see it in the bios

Collapse -
Interesting.

In reply to: nope

Did using only one memory stick help?

Try checking the cables for the hard drive.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Let me introduce..

In reply to: Hard drive problems

Collapse -
Wow.

In reply to: Let me introduce..

Nice find. I might have been away too long, lol!

~Ibrahim~

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.