Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hard Drive PROBLEMS

by annemariegrrr / April 27, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

After messing up my boot secotrs with Linux i put my hard drive (160 GB) in a enclousre to see what is going on. I went to my user (Documents and Settings>Sai) When i tried to get to my user it said acess denied. When i saw the properties it said 0 kb which freaked me out. Is there anyway to get to my files? I had a password on my user. It was a adminstartior.

-sai

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive PROBLEMS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive PROBLEMS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarify some points first
by gargoyle_xlvii / April 27, 2006 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive PROBLEMS

First are we viewing the hard drive in WinXP or Linux or what?
Which version of WinXp are we dealing with WinXp Pro or WinXp Home Edition?
Is the hard drive installed in it original place?
If not actually where is it?
Can you boot using the drive?
Is the drive Fat32 or nstf?

Collapse -
oh sorry specs..
by annemariegrrr / April 27, 2006 12:08 PM PDT

Windows xp prof and it has to be running on a NTFS cause it's 160GB. It's right now running off a external enclourse connected to my laptop (compaq preasrio 700) running windows home edtion. I right now have recover software that is recovering the boot secoters and the MBR and MTF. That should help it. IT can't boot right now cause like boot sectors are corputed.

-sai

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.