Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard drive problem or something else?

by pajemar / January 10, 2007 4:57 AM PST

I have an hp Pavilion - 1.8 gig board
512 meg of ram - 80 gig harddrive and
is running win xp. I was having trouble
with The computer not wanting to boot
at times and just going blank here and
there. I figured is was probably the
harddrive, so I bought one and I have
now put it in. Now,lo and behold another
problem. The system locks up at boot time
(right after turning the power on.) I get
absolutly nothing. The computer is on
but all I get is a black screen. I am pretty
sure it is all hooked up right. I can't
even get to the logon screen to get to
the bios? Could someone Please , Please
help me with this. I am at my wits end.
I would appreciate any help I get.
Thanks much, Pajemar

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
I am at my wits end.
by jconner / January 10, 2007 5:39 AM PST

If you put the old drive back in does it do what it used to do or go black like this one? That may eliminate the hard drive as your problem.

If the old drive does work then the new one is probably hooked up wrong. How did you put the operating system on the new one? If you followed the instructions for copying files and system off your old drive onto your new one, did you remember to change any jumper from slave to master or alternatively move it to the primary connector if cable select. Did you leave the old drive connected? Lots of possible combinations here that you did not mention.

If you find that both drives don't work then you will need to remove/disconnect everything you can except the basics (MOBO, Power Supply, memory and video/monitor, Keyboard) See if it gets to the boot screen and into setup. If yes start adding things back in until it fails. When it fails it is either what you just added or a partially bad or underpowered power supply. First replace the power supply as it is usually the cheapest. If that doesn't work replace whatever caused it to fail. If it still fails than you do the next step.

If in a basic configuration it doesn't make it to the boot screen and into setup you will need to refer to the motherboard manual and see what diagnostics it has (usually blinking lights or beeps). The sequence of those will hopefully tell you if its power, bios, cpu, memory or CMOS.

There are many many posts up here offing other similar diagnostic procedures.

Good luck.

Collapse -
hardrive not working or something else
by pajemar / January 10, 2007 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: I am at my wits end.

I have not put the old drive back in yet. I just installed the new one
last night. I tried to put win-xp on the new drive by, turning on comp, inserting win-xp disk 1,turning off comp and turning the computer back again.( I have the 8 win-xp disk's.) I did it this way
because comp won't boot to anything. I only have the one new harddrive on the cable. The old harddrive jumper was set on cable select, the new one I installed was set on cs also.I tried that setting -nothing . I then even tried single - nothing. just a black screen. I know the moniter is good and even though my comp is 4 years
old , hp put a new mother board in it 2 years ago. I,m totally perplexed? I will try the things you sugested and hope for the best. thanks for your help. Pajemar

Collapse -
will it go into setup
by jconner / January 10, 2007 9:13 AM PST

That means if you hit the del key or f10 or whatever it says in the lower right hand corner? Or does it always stay black? If yes first I would check all the power connectors on the mother board (from the power supply) and the cable connector from the hard drive to the ide slot and also the one from your cd drive to its ide connector to be sure they didn't get jiggled loose and the floppy if you have one. Also when you power on look to see if the lights on the front of your computer (drive and CD drive, keyboard also), possibly floppy if you have one. If none come on you are not getting any power through the motherboard to those devices and that suggests a loose connection or possibly worse. The worse is possibly a blown power supply or motherboard. While you are checking connections make sure all the cards are seated in the PCI and agp slots (especially the video card) and that the memory cards are also seated. Its very easy to knock something loose when you are replacing stuff.

Collapse -
8 CD's?
by jconner / January 10, 2007 9:18 AM PST

Usually you need one for XP. Are you sure you are using the right disk? Your system probably came with a recovery disk, which you would need to use to restore XP. Look for the user guide that came with the computer it will discuss recovery. It may even be that you will need to go into setup (bios) and change the boot order from the hard drive to the CD. Just another thought.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!