PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive priority change in BIOS

by tom.sutton / March 3, 2007 8:14 PM PST

Good morning all,

Just a few hours ago I came home to my computer to see it acting somewhat erratically, and by "erratically" I mean the internet, explorer, or the task manager didn't work (in fact I got a "Application Error for taskmgr.exe" message every time I tried, and this is a side problem I would like explained if at all possible).

So I did a hard reboot, and when it came to the screen that loads the HDD I got the "NT Loader missing" message. I got this previously when setting up the computer when I didn't set the priorities for my two drives (1st being my 320GB Seagate which used to be my drive I used for my OS, and the second being my new 74GB Raptor I'm currently using my OS for). Now here are my questions:

1. What would cause such a change in, I'm assuming, my master boot record?

2. How would I go about preventing this from happening again?

3. What causes the task manager to fail so miserably, sorry but I didn't get down the specifics of the error message, this being the reason why this is a secondary problem.

Computer Specs -
ENERMAX Liberty 500W PSU
ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Socket 939 Crossfire Radeon Xpress 3200
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 512MB
G.Skill 2x1GB 184pin
Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Edition
Seagate Barracude 320GB Perpendicular Drive (storage)
Raptor 74GB (OS)
IDE CD/DVD Drive
MX1000 Cordless Mouse

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive priority change in BIOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive priority change in BIOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better than 9 times out of 10, not a hardware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 10:45 PM PST

Given the state of affairs in the land of Windows, spyware and other pests used to not be the predominant cause of such woe. I noticed this change about 5 years ago where about 1/2 the machines were afflicted with software pests or damage. No physical damage but pests would invade the machine and cause the owner to show up at a service counter.

That's the cause of most of the ills I see today. The prescription for keeping the machine off the service counter is to arm Window to the teeth with antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and avoid use of programs that are known to let the pests in such as Outlook, Internet Explorer and P2P programs.

Recovery from such is never a sure thing but we use the XP REPAIR INSTALL when we see your message then proceed with what I call "The SIXPACK" which I detail in this discussion -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=218013&messageID=2320320

Best of luck in recovery,

Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by tom.sutton / March 4, 2007 6:03 AM PST

I aplogize if I wasn't too clear, but I did fix the problem. All I had to do was go back to the BIOS setting and change the priority from my storage drive to my OS drive. Then when I booted back up everything was in it's proper order. I was simply wondering what caused this, as well as a means to prevent it because I have seen the task manager application error before on another computer and also had to do a hard reboot to fix it. But thank you for bringing up root kits, that is something that I will have to check for.

My current virus/spyware tools are:

Nod32
Ad-Aware (latest version)
Spybot - Search and Destroy (latest version)
Hijack This

P.S. What would be your program reccommendations on removing a root kit

Collapse -
Changes such as...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

Adding devices, accepting driver updates and of course a setting change in the bios.

In regard to root kits, I use rootkit revealer (noted in the SIXPACK posts) and a little research on google.com

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?