PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Partition

by rolly5272 / June 16, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

Can I partition my new SATA 500 gig hard drive after it has been installed and a Windows xP system has allready been loaded?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partition
by Phil Crase / June 16, 2009 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive Partition

If you are not into the ins and outs of manipulating drives and software, go out and get a copy of PARTITION MAGIC and you should be ok.

Collapse -
Only if you leave room for a second partition during the
by VAPCMD / June 17, 2009 11:31 AM PDT

original install. Otherwise you'll have to acquire SW to 'shrink C:' to create room for a 'D:'

VAPCMD

Collapse -
h
by G.Santhosh13 / June 20, 2009 6:50 PM PDT

the 127/137GB only applies to Windows XP with no service pack. Once you have SP1 you can go into the Terabytes for hard drive size.

Collapse -
one drive?
by maddgamer / June 26, 2009 11:31 AM PDT

For years I had drives with several partitions and finally came to the conclusion that at most two is enough (I now use none and will continue to do so) as I used to think that Operating System on one everything else on the other.
I would not recommend using a program like Partition magic or any of its type. If you have one drive (C) just use multi folders. There are good reasons for some users to have mor than on partition but for the average user I would say no.

Madgamer

Collapse -
Would agree but
by deniceels / June 27, 2009 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: one drive?

in the area of file system you have chosen in the beginning. If you have gone with NTFS, then 1 drive would be ok, however, if you are on FAT32, when you do installation of Windows 7 in future, you will encounter with the installation drive for which, if you do not read the instructions carefully, you may accidentally format that drive which contains your files.

I would still go with 2 drives to prevent such accidents, plus, if you ever do a reformatting or anything dramatic by accident (short of meddling with boot sector) you'll still be safe.

Collapse -
Tell me how '(I now use none and will continue to do so)" ?
by VAPCMD / June 27, 2009 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: one drive?

Partition Magic has served me well ....what don't you like about it ?

I always use 2 partitions on drive 0 ... OS and APPs on C and all data on data on D. Works extremely well for image backups and restores to the OS-APPs partition without affecting the DATA partition. Images of drives C and D are stored on second internal HDD. Very fast and reliable over many many years. I'll be sticking with what works until it doesn't.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
While I don't disagree about partitioning
by Jonmor68 / June 27, 2009 7:42 AM PDT

if you have to go out and buy Partition Magic, a better option would be to use the $$ to buy a new second drive seeing as they are so cheap now.

Collapse -
Another HDD is a viable option too...but as an inveterate
by VAPCMD / June 27, 2009 9:26 AM PDT

tinker, I already have PM and numerous HDD spares. Shame Symantec didn't continue support of a good product.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.