Laptops forum

General discussion

hard drive or memory?

by lhschic05 / April 2, 2005 10:38 AM PST

The laptop I am looking at starts with 256MB of memory and 30GB of hard drive space. I can only increase one of these areas. Which would be the best choice to spend my money on. If it helpw to know what i will be using this computer for i will be using it for college, which means i will be working on it as well as storeing some music, and photos.
Thank you some much if you reply to this!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive or memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive or memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard DRive
by damasta55r / April 2, 2005 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: hard drive or memory?

Memory can always be increased. DDR2 is supposed to surpass DDR in terms of production later this year, so expect prices to drop.
ROgre

Collapse -
Memory
by nino88 / April 2, 2005 2:30 PM PST

I personally would go with higher memory. It makes a lot of difference on the speed. I've never really care about the harddrive size as long as it's 20gig or above (for laptops). I like to store my stuff externally and keep the load to the minimum in my laptops.

Collapse -
Memory...
by Fredrick_NP / April 3, 2005 4:56 AM PDT

The HD is not important although its stupid of them to only put a 30 GB hard drive in... 30 is plenty plenty.

The memory will affect everything you do. With more memory your computer will be much faster and will be able to do many more things at once.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.