PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive only works by itself in my computer.

by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 7:56 PM PDT

Hard Drive only works by itself in my computer. If I attach another IDE hdd my computer does not recognise either of them. This problem only happens with this hard drive. Any solutions please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive only works by itself in my computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive only works by itself in my computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We'll need to know about your cables and
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2010 8:24 PM PDT

jumper settings on both drives you want to attach. The best way, with newer drives, is to use an 80 conductor cable and set jumpers to CS (cable select). The 80 conductor cable has a specific way it needs to be connected to the MB. The important thing to note is that the blue connector goes to the motherboard.

Collapse -
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

Hi I am the same person whom you answered in the win xp forum about the sata drivers.
Both hd's are IDE
When I plug in my maxtor hard drive with my cd both are recognised

When I plug in my western digital hard drive with my cd drive neither are recognised however this hard drive is recognised by itself when the cd drive is not connected.

So I feel that this one hard drive (western digital) which is only being recognised by itself has a problem. Any solutions please. I tried using jumpers.

I only have one ide connector. I need to get this working so I can install windows on it. Please assist

Collapse -
worked in another pc before but not anymore
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

This WD faulty hd worked as a slave in my other pc before. Today i formatted it and was going to install Windows and found that when I plugged in this hd, both ide connections were not being recognised

Collapse -
Jumpers
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2010 11:06 PM PDT

I don't know the model #s, size or age of your Maxtor and WD drives but can tell you that I've never seen a specific jumper standard shared by all drive manufacturers or even between product lines from the same manufacturer. Since you mentioned using a HD with a CD ROM, I can tell you that this can often through a real monkey wrench into the works. Be careful of "Master" settings. Some will allow that setting if only one drive is installed and some consider that the master jumper position means that a slave exists and you cannot use it with a single HD. What you need is the instructions from the manufacturer for each drive model to figure out their scheme. Unfortunately the only experiences I've ever had with Maxtor drives have been bad so I avoid them. I also avoid trying to mix drives from other manufacturers or even vintages. If one is older IDE and one is called an EIDE, ultra ATA, etc., I wouldn't mix them on the same cable. Maybe if you know the HD model #s that might help dig up better information about what jumper settings are valid.

Collapse -
Let's say
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:07 PM PDT

That you get all the cables and jumpers right. Here's what you need to know. Once in awhile you will find a drive that will not tolerate any second IDE device. This may confuse the new to IDE technician. After the initial shock and after encountering this a few more times it dawns on the tech that not all IDE devices can coexist. Yes they should but the awful truth is that a few don't.

At least we have other solutions.

I'll leave jumper and cable discussions out of my replies since that's been done many times and there are plenty of web pages about that.
Bob

Collapse -
Please Help
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's say

Please Help

Collapse -
Help with what?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Please Help

I noted the usual and that jumpers and cables are widely documented. Can you be more specific?

Collapse -
Worked earlier
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Please Help

This WD faulty hd worked as a slave in my other pc before. Today i formatted it and was going to install Windows and found that when I plugged in this hd, both ide connections were not being recognised

I don't understand why it should not work now. Please help

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Worked earlier

Parts do fail from time to time. Folk get the jumpers wrong. Some can't accept cable, jumper or hardware faults. Remember that I elected to not write about cables or jumpers as that's been done.

Here's one thought. Test each drive on its own.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Worked earlier

As this pc works with other hard drives using the same cables I would expect it to work. I am quite sure that my jumpers settings are correct. Do you need an more details. Thanks

Collapse -
Drives work on their own
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

drives work on their own. No need to talk about cable and jumpers. I am sure they are correct. What would be the other cause please?

Collapse -
Is it faulty
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:25 PM PDT

So Would y?ou say that the hard drive is probably faulty

Collapse -
Sounds like a faulty drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:45 PM PDT

If the drives work one at a time but not together and you claim the cables and jumpers are fine then it's the usual problem I've seen over the years. Why not put these two each on their own IDE channel?

Collapse -
can't
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:51 PM PDT

don't have another channel. I have other sata connectors but not another ide one

Collapse -
And...
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: can't

Faulty drive works in a hard drive external enclosure

Collapse -
Which is a problem I noted in my first reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: And...

Some techs can't wrap their head around that. And again the jumpers and cable types do matter. Well discussed but no where did I find where you told exactly what you used. Could be that issue I noted or could be the jumper and cable issues. But your posts omit details and I didn't duplicate web content on jumpers and cables.

Makes you wonder if it's one or the other usual issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 10:59 PM PDT

Yeah you are right. Thanks for your help. this hdd was in my external enclosure and i attempted to install xp. Computer shutdown with some error. I then booted into the hdd and it continued to install. last question. will this still be a successful install

Collapse -
thankyou
by ac1818 / April 16, 2010 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

sorry,No need to answer question thanks a lot

Collapse -
The only troubles I have with XP installs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Is when the machine is SATA and can't emulate IDE. Then when we emulate IDE the IDE ports can become disabled. The vicious cycle begins.

My lesson on this is simple. Use an OS that supports SATA. Yes there are procedures that use a floppy drive but what to do when the floppy drive is broke, missing and the owner won't fix that?
Bob

Collapse -
RIbbon Cable
by ac1818 / April 18, 2010 5:59 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Just one question. If I have a faulty ribbon cable in a computer is it ok to swap it with another ribbon cable which fits in the computer and makes the computer work or would the new one spoil my computer.

Thanks,
AC

Collapse -
IDE cables are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

Pretty much a generic item. If you researched this you found 2 common models with 3 connectors and two ribbon cable types. If you use the older ribbon cable type the worst that could happen is the drive data is corrupted. The newer ribbon cable type can be used without issue except you have to set the jumpers and the drives must "like" each other.

I covered the old tech stumper earlier about drives that never work on the same IDE channel. This one has caused months of time lost for some techs. Some can't wrap their head about that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?