HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

hard drive not recognized.

by gklein / March 23, 2004 10:35 PM PST

1.Can boot to setup menu only (BIOS-Award Modular v6.00PG)
2. Can not boot to F8 (safe mode)
3. occassional error after attempting to reload or install Win2k = Stop 0X00000007B (google says check for viruses - but can't)
4. regular error rebooting = Verifying DMI Pool Data....... Boot from CD: Disk Boot Failure. Insert system Disk and Press Enter - (will not accept)
5. will not boot from floppy to allow - fdisk.
QUESTION: I have a second computer I can use to install this "locked" hard drive as a slave. Would I be able to reformat it from there ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive not recognized.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive not recognized.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"ABOVE" = Win2k; 750mhzPent; 128RAM; 40gig HD
by gklein / March 23, 2004 10:47 PM PST

Collapse -
Re:hard drive not recognized.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2004 11:29 PM PST

The machine seems to have serious issues if you can't boot from a floppy disk and try FDISK/FORMAT.

Can it boot a KNOPPIX CD and use those tools to play with the hard disk.

In short, Windows (all versions) do not tolerate hardware problems.

Maybe its time to repair the machine?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob - so far on occassions when I can start it to run a CD by -
by gklein / March 24, 2004 12:15 AM PST

setting BIOS to CD first run, it will ONLY accept the OS cd. Have tried others but no go.
KNOPPIX CD looks great if CD drive will accept it.
Will download KNOPPIX CD over night as it is slow downloading from the several US sites I tried.
Till tomorrow then, when I recieve it, burn it and try it.
Gene

Collapse -
Good or bad...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 12:36 AM PST

Some won't like this, but as hardware gets older, one has to decide to futz with it or replace it. Since you can't boot much of anything, the machine is showing definite hardware failures.

Given the cost of shop repairs, I replace hardware very quickly rather than rack up a repair bill.

Bob

Collapse -
agree - especially with low prices now. One more confusing question -
by gklein / March 24, 2004 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: Good or bad...

Just curious about having just read tonight, a Microsoft specification requirement for Windows 2000 Pro. It states that a Windows 95 or 98 OS "must" be installed before installing Windows 2000 Pro.
I did not have an OS on this troublesome machine which I formated before installing Windows 2k Pro.

However, I recently bought a refurbished Dell Pent4 without an OS, and not knowingly installed Windown 2k Pro with no running problems at all. Maybe the higher 2.4gig processor and 256 ram is preventing problems ???

Bottom line is I'll be looking for another replacement as you suggested. Thanks again.
Gene, Bradenton, FL

Collapse -
Sharing my last Windows 2000 Upgrade CD requirement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2004 8:37 PM PST

I just had to "show" my 98 CD. It didn't have to be installed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.