Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hard drive no jiving inside!

by 13thclue.com / August 8, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

Hello!

Why will my new Seagate 250GB 8MB harddrive and my New Maxtor 250GB 16MB harddrive ONLY work well used in an external USB 2.0 external encasement?
When one new harddrive is in the computer in addition to my C:drive, set to jumper cable select, it lags and will not let me capture video or playback video fludily.

What do I have to configure to make either work inside the XP Pro Intel III 2 GB ram computer?
I don't want to swap any with my current C:drive.
Any ideas?!!! Thank you!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive no jiving inside!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive no jiving inside!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 2:31 AM PDT

One problem I ran into was an owner that was moving the drive from insternal to external again and again without a total wipe and format of said drive. It's an oddity I know of no cure short of preparing the drive proper where it will be used.

Another issue is that very few will get the jumpers and cables proper, get the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers. Many expected Microsoft to do this work for us.

In closing, why not make this a warranty issue with the machines maker?

" Intel III " could be a P3. It's L2 Cache system may not work well with over 1GB of RAM. I will not research this but note it so you can figure it out.

Bob

Collapse -
Could be...
by Dick White / August 8, 2005 4:05 AM PDT

an issue with motherboard BIOS support for huge drives like those. Some systems have a limit on how big of an internal drive it will support. When you put the large drive in an external enclosure, you are using the operating system and the USB driver to address the storage space, not the hardware support from the motherboard which probably was designed to support only the largest size drives then imagined (and if it was a PIII, drives of 250Gb were unimagined...).

If you want to use an oversize drive, you have to install the drive manufacturer's overlay patch on the drive to fool the motherboard BIOS into believing it is a smaller drive while the operating system sees its full size. This is another reason in support of BobP's recommendation that drives should be prepared for the place where they will be used and left there, not swapped around from case to case, first in this one then in that one.

dw

Collapse -
large hard drives internal and external
by glennlee / August 8, 2005 5:36 AM PDT

A word of caution about oversized drives added internally to a system. The drive manufacturers understand that the BIOS on many systems do not support the larger sizes, and they install a software bios that is loaded at boot time. This allows the system bios to deal with the "illegal" sizes. Should you have a hard disc failure of your system boot disc, however, that software bios will not be loaded. Rescue boots from your cd will not be able to see the large hard disc without the bios loader, and extracting data will be a real hassle.

Configuring the large hard disc as an external device accessed through USB avoids that problem as long as the rescue boot enables USB.(Knoppix and Acronis True Image do).

Collapse -
Wow!
by 13thclue.com / August 8, 2005 5:57 AM PDT

Thanks very much for all the recommendations.
I truly appreciate them!!

From what you're all telling me I've decided to just use the 250GBs as Externals, and keep my old 80GB drive back into the machine.
Seems too much of a hassle, when 25$ will buy my another external casing.

thanks again!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.