Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard drive makes loud noise.

by utvols20 / February 13, 2006 10:49 AM PST

Hi. My HDD makes these weird noises, but not all the time. I only use to do it while starting up the computer, but now it does it more. I recorded the noise with my cell phone, but its a .qcp file. Would anyone let me email them the file so they could hear it? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive makes loud noise.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive makes loud noise.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
make sure its
by skippyd333 / February 13, 2006 3:59 PM PST

the hard drive. not a fan. Open your case and listen. If it is the hard drive, you better back it up fast. Its going to die.

Collapse -
download
by nino88 / February 13, 2006 4:52 PM PST

speedfan from download.com and run the SMART test on your HD. See how it turns out.

Collapse -
i'll try that today.
by utvols20 / February 13, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: download

I'm gonna try those two ideas today. I brought my computer to work so i can listen to it like you said...when i'm done i'll post back. Thanks

Collapse -
Not the hard drive
by utvols20 / February 13, 2006 11:31 PM PST

Its my video card. Does it mean its bad? or is it just the fan?

Collapse -
Hot
by utvols20 / February 13, 2006 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Not the hard drive

I blew alot of dust out of it, and it still does it. I also noticed that sometimes the fan seems to slow down and boost back up. So is it time for a new card?

Collapse -
I would
by skippyd333 / February 14, 2006 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Not the hard drive

Take the card completely out and try to do a better job of cleaning the fan out. What is the make and model of the card? Fans can be replaced, or if its a cheapy, I would buy another if cleaning doesn't help.

skip

Collapse -
Re:
by utvols20 / February 14, 2006 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: I would

Its a nVidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB

Collapse -
what about one of these
by skippyd333 / February 14, 2006 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

If you can take it out and clean the fan better it may make the noise go away. If not take the fan off and get one of these.
http://3btech.net/redled80slfa.html or

here some new ones. 128mb 8x geforce as low as $36. If your not in indiana there is no tax and no shipping cost for ground ups.

http://3btech.net/nv.html

Collapse -
Re:
by utvols20 / February 14, 2006 12:38 PM PST

how can i take the fan off? Sorry, i'm not a hardware/electronics guy, just a straight up IT person.

Collapse -
you will see
by skippyd333 / February 14, 2006 2:49 PM PST

as soon as you take it out. there should be pins or screws holding the fan on. If you can't figure it out, just pull the power wire on the fan loose from its connecter and leave the fan on the Card. then install the new fan in the slot next to it. pci slot #1 next to the video card slot.

Collapse -
Re:
by utvols20 / February 14, 2006 10:58 PM PST

Is this the only place to get fans?

http://3btech.net/redled80slfa.html

Does newegg.com or places like that have them? i'll feel much safer with a bigger computer parts company than that.

Collapse -
I'm sure
by skippyd333 / February 15, 2006 9:29 AM PST

newegg or tigerdirect will have some. I shop at 3btech all the time. Never had a problem, and always fast delivery. No problems with thier feedback. its just as good as neweggs. No taxes and free shipping.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Terrible idea
by ranron / February 15, 2006 10:33 AM PST

Using any GPU without a passive heatsink is not very smart. There is not enough surface area on the GPU core to actually be cooled if you use one of those PCI coolers.

You should weigh out your options. You have AGP right? So you can get a significantly better video card and it still will be cheaper than trying to replace the fan (considering it will be difficult to find parts for). My suggestion is getting a new card because if you are still using an old card like that, you will be lacking the performance that you may need.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree
by skippyd333 / February 16, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Terrible idea
Collapse -
Re:
by utvols20 / February 21, 2006 12:11 PM PST

Could anyone find me a good graphics card on bestbuy.com i have a $20 gift card for there, i need something not too strong. Something that will play CoD2 and Halo. Thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!