Computer Help forum

General discussion

:HARD Drive Location ?

by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

I bought a larger capacity hard drive for my Sony PCG NV170 laptop.
My problem is determing where the hard drive is located on this particular laptop. I queried Sony's Customer Service and they refused to tell me the location saying I should send it to their repair facility to have a new hard drive installed. My husband is very capable of installing a new hard drive in the laptop. I downloaded instructions for a Sony laptop's hard drive replacement but it was not applicable to the NV170. Last evening we took out all the screws on the bottom that had arrows pointing to them but that did not let it separate so we put them back in.

Is there someone that knows how to access the NV170 hard drive and will impart that knowledge to me ? I will truly be appreciative.

Regards. bjh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: :HARD Drive Location ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: :HARD Drive Location ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start with our troubleshooting forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: :HARD Drive Location ?

The top 2 posts at http://forums.cnet.com/laptops-forums/laptop-troubleshooting-forum/ show disassembly and troubleshooting of many laptops.

I am not going to supply a link to your laptop. Here's why. You must be comfortable with removing a few screws here and there to look under the panels to find this drive. And you should be able to identify that drive when you see it. If not, the repair counter is best to keep you from ending up at the repair counter with a dead machine and incurring an even bigger bill.

What you need is only a little search on the net and many have done this so if you work just a little you'll succeed.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

Bob, as I told Sony's Customer Service Rep: "my husband is retired from the elec eng dept of a major airline. He handle many airplane components that cost millions of dollars. He was in charge of making a Boeing airplane airworthy after the cockpit was gutted by a fire.
I know that he is very capable of installing a computer laptop and he has done so in the past. It is just that we are not sure where the NV170 hard drive is located.

Thank you for your response, bjh

Collapse -
So did you google it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Link ??
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: So did you google it?

I went to the link that you sent but it seems to just show hard drives and caddies for sale. I have already purchased a new Seagate hard drive.

Regards, bjh

Collapse -
Yes it did AND...?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Link ??

And did you notice the caddy? It's shape and more revealed to me exactly what to look for.

-> I purposely am not looking for a dis-assembly diagram or service manual. This would be something you would do. Remember that this forum is not tech support but member to member so just like someone helping you change a flat they get you to pitch in.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it did AND...?

We did not force the bottom from the laptop. We took out the screws with arrows pointing towards them. We did NOT see where we thought the hard drive is located so we chose to put the screws back in and wait until we are sure of the location of the hard drive.

I am sure that someone has replaced the NV170 hard drive and that eventually I will be told its location.

Regards, bjh

Collapse -
It's in that caddy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: No

The face of the caddy is clearly visible in the searches I provided.

Sorry but I get the feeling you want tech support and not help with your search. That is, you don't want to find the answer but be told the answer. There's a reason I didn't look for the service manual. -> That caddy nailed where the drive is.
Bob

Collapse -
Respionse
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: It's in that caddy.

Thank you for the response. The fact I first bought a laptop cd repair disk but the only NV on it is the 290 and it does not include data on the hard drive. Over a period of days I have done a diligent search using Google.com to try and find where the NV170 hard drive is located. I have not requested anyone to do my research. In as much as I was unable to find where the caddy/hard drive is located we chose to put the screws back in. At some point, I will find the hd location. Until then, I will use it as is.

Regards, bjh

Collapse -
The face of the caddy is clear to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Respionse

Try this. Take a photo for the forum members to confirm you found it.

Just sharing. After changing out some thousand drives over the years I tend to not look too hard for service manuals. All I need is a quick look see to find the drive. You've found it.
Bob

Collapse -
Response
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

Bob, it is not a 'driving issue' for me. I have my desktop to use. One thing I have is a lot of patience. There is a man I have had contact with on another forum that has replaced his NV170 hard drive. I feel certain that he will respond when he has time and will tell me where in the laptop the hd is located.

So far me, this is a dead issue and I will not bother the CNET group again.

Regards, bjh

Collapse -
Did you remove the screws under ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 10, 2009 3:00 AM PDT

the rubber feet?

I am not familiar with the specific notebook but many Vaios require the screen to be COMPLETELY open before the front of the base unit (where the touchpad is) will lift to allow separation.

On the other hand some of the Vaios have a small hard drive caddy held in place with a couple of small screws near one edge of the bottom of the case. This link would make it appear that such is the case with the NV170 - http://product.pelltechnology.com/Sony_Vaio_PCGNV170_Hard_Drive_Caddie_Assembly.asp

Collapse -
Just a PDF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 9:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
THANK YOU
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a PDF

Bob, the cd I purchased has the first two views and the parts list for the NV290 but not the break down component picture that follows on the link you sent. "THANKS" as my husband will be able to view that drawing and change out the hard drive. He is careful about not going further than he feels is safe for him to attempt. He is currently building APU and AC control panels with accompanying wire harnesses that will be installed on planes in the Saudia Arabian Air Force. Every time the 'Google boys' 767 has people deplane they are doing so via an airstair that he wired. He did the presidental fleet from Pres Reagan to the 2nd Pres Bush, plus the govt command nuclear shielded 747. I am telling you so that you know he is capable of more than merely removing screws.

Much appreciation. bjy

Collapse -
Reagan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU

That one was the reason I worked on missile designs years ago. Thanks to him and glad that we finally found something useful.
Bob

Collapse -
THANKS Again
by bjh1225 / October 10, 2009 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Reagan.

Husband too tired this evening to work on the laptop. I printed the breakdown page off on 11" x17" sheet. Will do it tomorrow after we prepare for the incoming storm.

Thanks ever so much, bjh

Collapse -
SUCCESS !
by bjh1225 / October 13, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Reagan.

Bob, I am in the process of setting up the new hard drive on the NV170. I have done the System Recovery and am now updating the drivers, etc.

We were out of town on the wk end, and had to prepare for the storm yesterday. So I could not get to it until this afternoon.

My husb had a few choice words (to me) for Sony Support. I studied the schematic and determined the hard drive was located on the right front of the computer. ONE SCREW was all that had to be removed to access the hard drive bay. Then just the 4 screws holding the old hard drive in the caddy. VOILA....... I now have a 120 GB in place of a 30 GB.

MUCH THANKS for your patience and assistance, bjh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.