PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard drive keeps CLICKING ON AND OFF, switching on and off

by Pontiac1830 / December 15, 2009 4:03 PM PST

I just bought 2 Seagate external drives. One is 1 Terabyte, the other is a 1.5 Terabyte FreeAgent. The FreeAgent would NOT STOP CLICKING ON AND OFF, or SWITCHING On and Off). The 1T drive did it some too. I wasted HOURSSS formatting, re-copying, doing "Extended Drive Tests".

Turns out ... they have CHEAPENED the drives to such an EXTREME ... that the power connectors don't connect well ... and so the power is affected just enought to cause this. They even took the "SMART" feature off the drives....... I switched power cords between the units ... and now they work fine. NOTICE how light and flimsy and cheap the hard drive is now ... even though the capacity is doubled or tripled !

I'm so pissed off. Both drives are now compromised because the cheap circuit board and switche... Clicked On and Off, Switched On and Off, .... hundreds of times .... so God only knows how long before they burn out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive keeps CLICKING ON AND OFF, switching on and off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive keeps CLICKING ON AND OFF, switching on and off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB power limit
by Willy / December 15, 2009 11:23 PM PST

You may have exceeded the USB(I assume) port ability to provide power. These are meant to be simple ports. If power is being supplied, then that's your problem. Plus, if you have both at the same system port area(hub) then again its an issue. I suggest you place these ext. HDs on a self-powered USB hub if none is supplied by the ext. setup itself. Also, if not already use rear USB ports if possible when no ext. powered hub is present.

As for cheap parts, IMHO that's the result of end-user buying ability. Its not entirely the makers fault when costs get out of hand. However, in electronics having lower costs does immediately become applied and that's not necessary the cheap route. Its just cheaper to build and yes those same components do alot for very little as electronics improve and shrink. As for the power connections, these too are very simple and needn't be as robust as what's supplied is sufficient. But, they aren't forgiving to repeated reseating though, handle w/care.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
USB Power
by Pontiac1830 / December 16, 2009 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: USB power limit

Thanks for the information ... those are good ideas.

However, I got the power issue idea from another post. So I'm still not sure why switching the AC power connectors .... between units .... corrected the problem. I'm telling you ... the power supplies, and especially the wires ... are cheaper and more flimsy then what you would see on a cell phone.

I'm know that I ran the 1.5T FreeAgent by itself ... nothing else hooked up to USB, and it would not stop switching on and off and on and off.

Collapse -
Seagate CHEAP CHEAP. Did I say Cheap?
by Pontiac1830 / December 27, 2009 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: USB Power

OMG, I just checked on Best Buy. Everyone is having problems with these hard drives. It's not my imagination. I can't believe I bought TWO of them.

I had a WD that got fried in the hot summer sun in the back of my car ............ still works perfectly.

Why did I buy this cheap crap Seagate????

Collapse -
IMHO...
by Willy / December 27, 2009 11:24 PM PST

If you're like me, you brought the Seagate ext. HD(and other products) as it appeared to be a good bargain and/or compared to others offered at lower price. Take my word, just about every HD out there has crossed my work bench. Also, consider that HD makers that have a big push to sell products tend to get some returns simply because the numbers are huge. Since, you mentioned the forums also notice the advice that ext. HDs aren't intended for permanent storage but rather as temporary and/or immediate storage until true back-up is used. I have found far too many sad cases of various ext. HDs just crapping out and while Seagate is one of them, others too don't live-up to the hype. Just beware to provide a real back-up as time goes on.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Seagate FREEAGENT is a piece of JUNK
by Pontiac1830 / December 30, 2009 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: IMHO...

ok ... I went out and bought a AC Powered USB Hub ..... it made no difference. The drive keeps clicking on and off. Rematted again for the 2nd time ... same thing.

What do they think they are doing putting a mega size 1.5 T fully enclosed, AC powered, USB plug-and-play hard drive on sale at Walmart for $99. ??? You know it's a piece of junk before you even get it out the door.

All I know is I want my money back for at least one of these POC drives and I HATE SEAGATE. They've wasted about 10 hours of my time and counting.

Collapse -
What to expect
by Willy / December 30, 2009 11:17 PM PST

Depending on warranty, besides the maker, if Wal-Mart allows for a return, do so. If beyond x-days then the maker has to be the final source. Of course, the repair cycle and/or warranty that is explained when you brought it kicks-in. If none of that resolves your problem, then some type of $ return is warranted. Beware, under warranty I've never had $ refunded to me from the maker for any product. Its always been some repaired/refurbed product and usually that works. If not, you restart the return process again. If at the 3rd time, it doesn't work, then some refund process should be the solution as most states AG require this under the lemon law or similar. Yeah, time and effort is wasted but them the breaks. Of course keep notes and paperwork, handy.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.