Storage forum

General discussion

Hard drive issues

by G-2-0 / January 31, 2009 11:26 PM PST

Hey guys first post and it'd be awesome if I got some help. I'll try explaining in steps what the problem is.

-Playstation 3 got the yellow light of death(seems to be an overheating issues)

-I called Sony and they would send me a box but I need to get all my save files off my hard drive as I have some games with upto 80 hours on there. (Yes I know I'm an idiot for not backing up recently I already beat myself up for that)

-I bought a Usb to Ide/Sata adapter to try and get the data off

-To get the drive to recognize I had to partition and format(Really stupid of me I think)

-Nothing was on the drive when it finally did get recognized

-I used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 4.3.6 to try and get the data off but all I got was .gzip(17.5 gigs) files.

-Also, if you're wondering why I didn't just keep the drive and send
the ps3 to sony. Sony would send me a refurb unit and with the ps3 it asks you to reformat once you put a drive into the console that it wasn't originally on(same problem if I just took the hdd and put it into a friends ps3 to get data off)

Is there anything at all I can do to try and get my files off that hard drive?

Thank you so much for your help =(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much I can add here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Hard drive issues

Since the drive was formatted I'd keep the gzip files, ship the beast off to Sony and when it comes back hook it up and use Linux to see the drive (Windows doesn't without a lot of help) and put your gzip files into the directory you find said files.
Bob

Collapse -
gzip hmm
by G-2-0 / February 1, 2009 1:42 AM PST

Is there anyway I could open those gzip files to see if my saves are in there? I'm not really familiar with it.

Collapse -
That's not the goal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: gzip hmm

You got the files out. The PS3 may store games in gzips and we don't want to further corrupt these files.

Collapse -
Not familiar..
by G-2-0 / February 9, 2009 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: That's not the goal.

The box should be here by tomorrow so the only hope I now have left is that my game saves are in those 17.5gigs of gzip files. I'm not familiar with linux at all so how would I install it onto the ps3 and what would I do with the files?

Collapse -
What I would do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Not familiar..

Put the files back to where you found them.

Collapse -
Alright thanks
by G-2-0 / February 9, 2009 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: What I would do.

Not much else I can do It's been dead for nearly 13 days now and I didn't really find a solution. All those hours gone to waste should've backed up. >_<

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.