PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Issue's

by jacksonbleu / January 22, 2005 4:00 AM PST

I am using a Dell Deminsion 8100-Pentium 4--60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive. Recently the hard drive is clicking loudly, occassionly, first 1X-then 2-3X, while the drive is clicking the OS freezes up, nothing works, then after a 'whizz noise' it continues back to working. I've used every system check, scan-disk, defrag, and the only info it shows in "Complete-defrag" that there 'may' be physical damage to my hard-drive. But then it may work for days and the error will not show up, then the next time I turn it on, there it is again. I took the front case off to be sure it is the hard drive 'clicking', it is for sure. Should I go ahead and replace the hard-drive or wait for it to shut-down completely, second, I have an external 120 gig hard drive-how can I do a complete Drive C backup to this external drive for the install of the new hard drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Issue's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Issue's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Western Digital drive?
by TONI H / January 22, 2005 7:47 PM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive Issue's

Western Digital drives.

If you hear that clicking noise when the drive's flat data cable is disconnected from the drive and the drive is ONLY connected to its power cable, then I'm afraid your drive is unable to put itself "online" and is completely inaccessible from the outside world.

This "power cable only" test is what the Western Digital Technical Support people had us perform in order to diagnose a dead drive ... and it's conclusive. If, however, this clicking happens later on, after the drive is up and running and you're only trying to read a particular file -- then the great majority of your data probably is recoverable.

Western Digital's is Data Lifeguard Tools http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

They also have a diagnostic program you can run from their site that will check the drive and tell you if it's ok or not. Your drive may still be under warranty and they will replace it as well.

If it's not a WD drive, let us know....I have links to other mfr sites that have similar tools available.

TONI

Collapse -
Hard Drive Issues
by jacksonbleu / January 23, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Western Digital drive?

I Checked All the paperwork that came with the system and all that is listed is: Ultra ATA Hard Drive. I can not find ant info online about this product or manufacturer. Jackson

Collapse -
In Device Mgr
by TONI H / January 23, 2005 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive Issues

under Disc Drives....what does it show?

You can go here, too, and

Get Your Hardware Info For Free

Everything you ever wanted to know about what hardware you have installed by manufacturer and model number, you can get here for free.

It will not only identify your hardware for you, but it will also identify your software programs and give you product ID's, licensing and registration info, and version numbers of everything.

You can print it out and always have it handy for downloading newest drivers ahead of time prior to a format, and also keep track of your updates for Windows and other programs.

BELARC Hardware ID:

This one is FREE. Run it on line, D/L or copy to a floppy (500K+). Anyone who is wondering what is in their machine should find this useful.
http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

The "Belarc Advisor" is useful, and free for personal use. It "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware." It runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000 and XP, and in just a minute or so, creates a local web page (one that resides on your PC--- nothing is sent back to Belarc). The page contains a rundown of all the hardware in and attached to your system, plus information on all the installed software including license and version numbers. Makes a handy reference.

TONI

Collapse -
Western Digital 500 Death Click
by perceptivemonkey / August 27, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: In Device Mgr

My drive just started clicking, now seems to be dead. I was using it an hour ago, now its gone. Looking around, this seems to be a bit too common.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?