Question

Hard drive failure

This was the alert on my pc 6/17/11: " SYSTEM HAS DETECTED A PROBLEM WITH ONE OR MORE INSTALLED IDE/SATA HARD DISKS . PLEASE RESTART." It also offered an online fix for $84 which made me think it was a scam but then the pc crashed.
I did try to restart but no avail. I was able to access Juno (my ISP) by going thru my Juno installer but I can't access any other programs.

Any suggestions??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hard drive failure
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hard drive failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Start scanning

I'm suspicious of that as well. Boot into "safe mode" hitting F8 key during boot-up, repeat if that doesn't succeed. Once, in safe mode with "networking option" run from your PC either your AV pgm. and/or other pgms. to seek out malware. Allow it to clean your system. If you have access to another PC d/l needed pgms. check the security, virsus and malware form here and check the "sticky" for links, etc. on what may help. Burn to disc or use flash drive(need networking) and run pgms..

- Collapse -
Answer
Please post this AGAIN in the CNET SPYWARE forum.

It's only a matter of time before that FAKE antivirus you see being discussed claims "Hard drive failure."

Why I wonder if this is the same new malware is your comment about hidden or lost files. The current malware hides files and the GOOD NEWS is that in the CNET SPYWARE FORUM we have discussions about removal and unhiding the files.
Bob

- Collapse -
Spyware

Do you mean: " Spyware, viruses, & security forum " ? I do plan to post there.

JoeU

- Collapse -
(NT) Yes

CNET Forums