Storage forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Enclosures

by leafhouse / July 6, 2010 12:31 PM PDT

Hi, I'm looking to buy an external hard drive enclosure for my Firelite USBFLB100 (100 GB Firelite) in an attempt to salvage the data on it after a drop.

Firstly, if anyone could explain to me what an enclosure does and why it could potentially save a clicking hard drive's ability to be read properly by a computer, it would be helpful just for my own knowledge.

More importantly, if you were to guess, do you think that a small-town computer fix-it place would be willing to try placing my hard drive into a spare enclosure they'd have lying around just to see if that does the trick, or is placing a hard drive into a new enclosure a difficult process? I'm just trying to figure out what to do next.

If you think I'll have to dump some cash to get my own new enclosure to see if one would do the trick, I could use some opinions on web sites with the most affordable enclosure options (including shipping costs), and really, more helpful would be direct product links that would accommodate my particular hard drive...

Bob directed me to this product: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020 Is this the same as buying a new enclosure, as far as what I'm using it for (just trying to see if the hard drive will stop clicking and let the computer read it)? I really just want the most affordable option as long as it has the same chance of salvaging my data, because I'll probably get a new external hard drive anyway. But is that cable adapter different than buying a new cord to connect my drive to the computer? I guess I don't understand the point, since I don't know what it does. It seems to turn my drive into a USB drive, but I thought it already was... Could anyone help me understand?

Thanks a lot. Sorry this was a bit long. Just hoping I can salvage some files. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Enclosures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Enclosures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This appears to be a 2 1/2 inch drive
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2010 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive Enclosures

such as laptops would use. You would need to take the drive out of the enclosure to see what sort of connection it makes on the inside. Older drives will be ATA and newer SATA. You will need proper adapter to connect it to a USB port and what you linked to should do the trick if the connectors match. I'm skeptical of any chance of success after a drop, however. Physical damage to the drive itself isn't correctable by putting it into another case or using such an adapter. That's just one way to rule out the possibility that damage occurred to the adapter and not the drive. The drive will be far more complex and sensitive. This now becomes your choice to determine how much in $$$ the data is worth to you. Sorry but that's the ugly truth.

Collapse -
Bob's link . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 8, 2010 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drive Enclosures

is to the connectors without the case. Works the same. Fine for testing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!