Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard drive data transfer

by 1stLadyO / November 3, 2004 10:28 AM PST

How do I transfer my data from my old hard drive that I removed before my laptop was stolen? The old hard drive does NOT fit my new laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive data transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive data transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hard drive data transfer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 10:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Hard drive data transfer
by 1stLadyO / November 5, 2004 3:03 AM PST

I believe a DRIVE CASE is the solution. The details of my old laptop's hard drive are 30.00GB, ATA/IDE, 4200RPM, and the drive is an IBM Travelstar hard drive. My old hard drive is too large for my new laptop's hard drive slot. While I await an email response from your referral site, can you recommend a more suitable drive case?

Collapse -
What's unsuitable about the drive case I noted?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 3:28 AM PST

I put an IBM laptop drive into such just last month. Maybe you still have the drive in it's IBM "sled"?

bob

Collapse -
Re: What's unsuitable about the drive case I noted?
by 1stLadyO / November 5, 2004 6:56 AM PST

Thank you for your prompt response. Is the SLED the plastic casing that surrounds the hard drive? If so, how difficult is it to remove the sled with a non-magnetic tool?

Collapse -
Re: What's unsuitable about the drive case I noted?
by 1stLadyO / November 5, 2004 7:20 AM PST

This is MESSAGE #2. Disregard the 1st reply to this message. I figured it out. I removed the SLED from the hard drive. Thank you for your superb help!

Collapse -
Yes.. The SLED.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 10:09 AM PST

Sorry, but I've yet to find a good common name for those chunks of plastic and what else.

If you figured out that, my bet is you'll do fine on the next step!

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes.. The SLED.
by 1stLadyO / November 15, 2004 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Yes.. The SLED.

I received the 2.5 External Enclosure that you recommended from Computer Geeks. Based on our previous conversation, the hard drive should fit inside the enclosure. It does not fit! I have followed the directions. Yet, the drive rattles once I close the cover. What do I do now?
Thanks again!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Yes.. The SLED.

If it rattles around in the enclosure, either I forgot a mounting screw or I use some PINK ANTISTATIC FOAM (not too much!) to shim it proper.

All the units I have used mounting screws.

Bob

Collapse -
by 1stLadyO / November 17, 2004 9:34 AM PST

Mounting screws came with the enclosure. How do I slide the hard drive into the case?

Collapse -
Close enough guide at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 11:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Close enough guide at...
by 1stLadyO / November 17, 2004 11:37 AM PST

The site you sent me shows me that I was connecting the hard drive correctly. However, my hard drive has flat connector pins; I counted 22 in a row. There are not any loose prong-like pins that will allow me to slide my hard drive underneat the riser board. Now what do I do? Thank you again, Bob!

Collapse -
It seems your drive still has part of the sled on it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 11:40 AM PST

I have a sled and that sounds like a part that still needs removing to get down to the bare drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It seems your drive still has part of the sled on it.
by 1stLadyO / November 17, 2004 11:58 AM PST

A metal covering labeled IBM Travelstar, with 6 tiny Philips screws is attached to a black board. Could this be part of the sled, also? Thanks again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!