Storage forum

General discussion

Hard drive Data recovery problem

by Mikytw / March 12, 2004 5:45 AM PST

Hello.

I have a problem with a hard drive and I am trying to discover whether there is any hope of further recovery.

The drive is a 120gig sata Maxtor. My computer experienced a corruption and halted. After powering up again the drive was corrupt.

I have now run the Maxtor powermax tools and the utility has decided it is damaged and as it is under warranty I can have the drive replaced.

I am unwilling to do this until all possibilities of recovery are extinguished. Though whether it is worth resorting to the final option of clean room recovery I haven?t decided yet.

Unfortunately I have not left the drive alone as I should have done and have made many attempts to recover data before coming across the fact that trying to fix the problem may have worsened it.

The situation I have now is that there are various sections of the drive that seem to be damaged. If I use recovery software the drive is able to be accessed until it hits a damaged sector. Once it hits a damaged sector the drive is unable to be accessed until a restart, it "disapears" from the system. Due to this no image of the drive is able to be made.

Using various software I am able to access the undamaged sections one area at a time but I believe the drive was badly fragmented before the failure so recovery of actual data has so far been fairly limited as the files probably span between sections.

I Have so far recovered around 10gb of over 100gb of data.

Does anyone know of any software that I can use to manually specify the sector ranges of more than one section at a time to be recovered to avoid the damaged sections and recover all data that is able to be accessed.

Any help greatly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive Data recovery problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive Data recovery problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DIY Hard drive Data recovery problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 7:36 AM PST

I have a friend that does that from time to time. It's not free and runs about 1+ kilobuck for a recovery. Cheap if you are recovering source code or medical records.

For home, you look at www.drivesavers.com and others.

Your approach is fine, but rarely do I see complete recovery.

Try a demo? http://www.stellarinfo.com/disk-recovery.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Hard drive Data recovery problem
by gaza10 / December 6, 2004 5:35 AM PST

Hi,

My name is Gary Ablett and I am managing director for FileFix.co.uk Ltd. We have just opened our new database store of data recovery software, and I have been observing your problem. I suggest that you purchase a program called 'Hard Drive Mechanic'. Our site URL is www.filefix.co.uk, however, not all of our products are currently on the site at the moment. This is why I am contacting you. The RRP of the product is $73.27. To observe the specification of this product, the URL of this is

http://www.pcrecovery.com/product.asp?ProductID=39

We, as a partener for the original distributors of the products can provide this programme at a cost of $63.27. If you wish to consider this, check out the specification of the product first then come back to me or contact our customer service by e-mail. Simply go to the FileFix.co.uk Ltd website and check out the contact details either on the home page or contact page. I will get back to you as soon as possible to sort out payment for the product. Be aware however that there is never a garentee on any data recovery software; however, the productswe sell are the fastest tools and of excellent quality.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Gary

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.