Storage forum

General discussion

Hard drive crashed.... Need Help!

My 40GB Maxtor hard disk crashed. It cant be detected when booting up, giving a message saying that Primary.. bla.. bla failed. I even have tried setting it as Secondary using another hard drive as primary, the status still failed.

When I enter the BIOS, I can see that it recognises my 40GB hard disk. There's a lot of data in the crashed hard drive. How can I salvage the data in it. Is there any utility of software that I can try and use.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive crashed.... Need Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive crashed.... Need Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just when the error got interesting, it went bla bla.

In reply to: Hard drive crashed.... Need Help!

Can I ask why you did that? Error messages are GOLD. What you add to it is "the story".

As it stands, I ask you to find a bla bla ... Oops couldn't resist... KNOPPIX CD, boot it up and see if it sees the data.

Try power off, open the case and reseat the cables and boards, then try again as well.

Bob

Collapse -
More details

In reply to: Hard drive crashed.... Need Help!

I guess I should have provided more details. The bla... bla... is I just cant really remember the error message. Anyway, the error is Primary hard disk 0 not found.

The cables are working find as I can use another hard drive on the same machine and it bootups up as per normal.

Collapse -
When I find a Primary Disk 0 not found...

In reply to: More details

I know to check the BIOS first since too many diddle and end up disabling the IDE channels.

Next?

1. Check the BIOS IDE settings. (Defaults are nice)
2. Move the drive and cable to the secondary IDE channel. Does it detect it? Do not boot that!
3. If detected, try primary channel again and a new 80 conductor cable.
4. Check drive jumper settings. Few get them right. Rules are simple, opinions many.
5. Move the drive and new cable to a test machine.
6. Does the drive spin? Do tell!

Best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
All OK

In reply to: When I find a Primary Disk 0 not found...

Actually I have done all that you have suggested even before you replied. See my answer below

1. Check the BIOS IDE settings.
Ans : Done. Ok.
2. Move the drive and cable to the secondary IDE channel. Does it detect it? Do not boot that!

3. If detected, try primary channel again and a new 80 conductor cable.

4. Check drive jumper settings. Few get them right. Rules are simple, opinions many.

5. Move the drive and new cable to a test machine.
Ans. No. Do not have a test machine around.

6. Does the drive spin? Do tell! Ans : Yes

Collapse -
Then the other way around...

In reply to: All OK

Put another hard disk in place of the failed unit.

In closing, You may have done all that and that's great, but think about sharing it in advance so to move faster towards new idea.

Bob

Collapse -
More description

In reply to: Then the other way around...

I have put another hard drive in replace of the failed unit. I mentioned it before(in article 3).I have replaced my machine with a new HDD. A new one. Re-installed everything, from the OS, firewall, application, programs etc etc. What I am missing now is my data that is in the failed HDD.

I have actually went to the manufacture website(www.maxtor.com) and downloaded an utility called PowerMax and runs a diagnostic on my failed HDD. The result is from the utility is "HDD is failing. Pls backup all nescessary data".

Collapse -
What's lleft is...

In reply to: More description

Collapse -
Nothing Left

In reply to: What's lleft is...

Nope. You didnt annoy. I guess I'm just a little disappointed at myself for not taking nescessary precaution.

Collapse -
Then the last hope.

In reply to: Nothing Left

If you decide not to go to data recovery hoses and KNOPPIX and other freebie recovery fails, try these common plays:

-> Put the drive in an antistatic bag and airtight into the fridge over night. See if it comes back long enough to drag data off it.

-> Unscrew the back PCB and gently wiggle all connections. Put it back together and try again.

-> Find the exact drive and swap the PCB. Sometimes you pay the price of a new working drive, but data is worth more than that. The new working drive may fail so it's the price of this exercise.

-> Rare, but worth it... Try the drive on each of its side sides...

-> Only 80 conductor cables, CABLE SELECT and place it on the second IDE channel, boot the KNOPPIX CD and try again.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.