Windows 7 forum

Question

Hard drive constant running

by netsiu / November 12, 2013 1:14 AM PST

Win7 Pro 32bit, AMDFX based MSI board,ATI Vid.

When setting idle at desktop with nothing loaded my hard drive is constantly clicking.
How can I tell what it is doing?
If it is auto defraging that shouldn't take or be constant an hour later.
Not good on Harddrive,. How do I stop it? Or should I?
In sleep mode it doesn't do it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive constant running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive constant running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try any utility like at this link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2013 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
What's My Computer Doing?
by netsiu / November 12, 2013 5:11 AM PST

Thanks Bob! Have installed and will let you know what it shows.
Dwight

Collapse -
Answer
Features
by Bob__B / November 13, 2013 12:33 AM PST

A couple of w7 features that can make your Hd quite busy are....
Indexing
Superfetch

You can run both of those through google and make your own call if you need them.

Collapse -
Whats it doing
by netsiu / November 13, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Features

Thanks Bob
With Whats My Computer running computer idle four things and a fifth are running.
Mouse pointer, Keboard, explorer (Think that is because Whats my computer doing is doing), IDVault (Comcast's Constant Guard) and real player jumps in few seconds and searches for updates.
Followed constant guards instructions and disabled constant guard in internet providers(IE Firefox) but is still active on computer.
At least it won't fight with me to store my log in stuff.

Collapse -
My neighbor had trouble with Real.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Whats it doing

I can't explain what Real Player does today. It's an item I don't use and friends report issues to me.

The IDVault which is usually free also falls into the category of things that make a machine go slow. Just yesterday I had to eject McAfee as it blocked Microsoft Visual Studio from installing. It's a strange world at times but as a test run, I'd remove Real and Constant Guard.

-> Did you find HIJACKTHIS and research each line of its report? It's a lot of work but after a few times you know what's standard and only have to look for what you don't know.
Bob

Collapse -
HyjackThis
by netsiu / November 22, 2013 11:46 AM PST

Sorry for the delay trying this.

HyjackThis came up with a short list. Not sure what the codes at the front mean but all it found is what is supposed to load at start.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2013 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: HyjackThis

Your reply tells me you may be only beginning to understand Windows. If so, then if you have any warranty, make it a warranty issue.

The industry has had decades to create a stable user friendly PC. What do you think?
Bob

Collapse -
Understand Who?
by netsiu / November 23, 2013 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: Tell more.

Your right Bob.
I am very, extremely short of understanding any OS.
I am able to build my own systems only because I can associate how things work together with/by Plug n Play.
When things go beyond "OK OS fix thy self" I need to seek help from more knowledgeable.

If you've noticed all my posts have been experienced not knowledge.

Collapse -
Let me make is as simple as I can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: Understand Who?

I suggest you remove Real.

My advice about Hijackthis is for us to dive in to look under the hood and learn more about what is going on. However not everyone is going to want to do that. The first time under the hood of a car is challenging and for today we have various tools to product some information and then we are off to learn more.

So I guess all I can do is keep it simple. Remove Real, and then we try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Remove Real
by netsiu / November 24, 2013 12:30 AM PST

Thanks Bob! I appreciate your patience.

Real Player or Realtek?

Realtek is the LAN and audio hardware on the MB (MSI 7640)

No other Real in programs list.
I did have some thing that loaded called Real. Was a bear to remove. Used AdwAware.

Collapse -
You noted Real Player above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Remove Real
Collapse -
Yes AdwCleaner
by netsiu / November 24, 2013 4:25 PM PST

Brain goes wacky with words at times.

Tried email but file was too big. Almost 13000 characters. Yours only allows 1500.
Tried posting as reply at site you post but didn't post.

I will use your Cnet email and send mine then I can reply to that.

Collapse -
That's huge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Yes AdwCleaner

Did you reboot then immediately create the log?

Just looked at email and will reply soon. Make a clean log. It will be smaller.
Bob

Collapse -
Still Huge
by netsiu / November 25, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: That's huge.

Did Hyjackthis 11,988. Reboot search 11,688

Notice that the post I tried thinking would be only to the one post at the link ended up here.

Collapse -
(NT) At least we see a reason for constant disk use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2013 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: That's huge.
Collapse -
Yup
by Bob__B / November 13, 2013 2:47 AM PST

I was just mentioning a couple of things that come stock with w7 that can cause a bunch of disk activity.

With all the different products that can be added it becomes a matter of sleuthing.

R.P. has a lot of stick time in this area.....follow his advice.

Aside.....if you have defrag set as a scheduled task you might want to rethink that.

Collapse -
MSCONFIG.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 3:03 AM PST

Go to the. startup tab there and ucheck Real, Adobe, and any others you feel can be disabled.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Constant guard
by pgc3 / November 13, 2013 3:21 AM PST

That, Constant guard, needs to be gone, that hangs on to a tool bar, also Comcast,it needs to be deleted from Control panel, Programs and features....I just did a L/T with similar issues and discovered some useless server (Comcast) stuff. I cannot remember the name of the tool bar that contains the USELESS Constant Guard but it needs to go.

Collapse -
That Constant Guard
by itsdigger / November 13, 2013 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Constant guard

coupled with Norton is a real PITA , it takes control over the computer and won't let you do anything . I had it several years back when I first got Comcast it's hard to get rid of too...Digger

Collapse -
PITA Norton
by pgc3 / November 13, 2013 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: That Constant Guard

Oh I forgot about that, too right!! Comcast seems to be as good a server as any but boy some of the add ons, ESPECIALLY when you opt for their "FREE" internet security package, which of late is Norton 360, on its' own (standalone) not bad ...but the server variation? Welllll...it goes on.

Collapse -
Hyjackthis log
by netsiu / November 24, 2013 4:06 PM PST

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:57:51 PM, on 11/24/2013
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v10.0 (10.00.9200.16736)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI.exe
C:\ProgramData\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero PhotoShow 4\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Constant Guard Protection Suite\IDVault.exe
C:\Program Files\What's my computer doing\WhatsMyComputerDoing.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola Mobility\Motorola Device Manager\MotoHelperAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Engine\20.4.0.40\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center\itype.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center\ipoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G930\G930.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA1100\WNA1100.exe
C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Viewer Plus\pdfpro5hook.exe
C:\Program Files\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\TrayNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\EuWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\XSnapShotTip.exe
C:\Program Files\Nuance\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Gaming Software\LWEMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\Epson Software\FAX Utility\FUFAXRCV.exe
C:\Program Files\Epson Software\FAX Utility\FUFAXSTM.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://xfinity.comcast.net/?cid=xfactiv_main
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer, optimized for Bing and MSN
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: RealNetworks Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\ProgramData\RealNetworks\RealDownloader\BrowserPlugins\IE\rndlbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: PlusIEEventHelper Class - {551A852F-39A6-44A7-9C13-AFBEC9185A9D} - C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Viewer Plus\Bin\PlusIEContextMenu.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Identity Protection - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Engine\20.4.0.40\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Vulnerability Protection - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Engine\20.4.0.40\IPS\IPSBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: ArcadeWeb Gaming Add-on - {9F531FB1-7C1F-4e1a-8C0C-E8D6177130E2} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Constant Guard Protection Suite - {B84CDBE7-1B46-494B-A188-01D4C52DEB61} - C:\ProgramData\White Sky, Inc\ID Vault\IEBHO1.13.1030.3\NativeBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Engine\20.4.0.40\coIEPlg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EEventManager] "C:\Program Files\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPort12reminder] "C:\Program Files\Nuance\PaperPort\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\ProgramData\ScanSoft\PaperPort\12\Config\Ereg\Ereg.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF5 Registry Controller] C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Viewer Plus\RegistryController.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDVCPL] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jswtrayutil] "C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA1100\jswtrayutil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Aware Browsing Protection] "C:\ProgramData\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Search Protection] C:\ProgramData\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Nero PhotoShow Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Nero\NERO7~1\NEROPH~2\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Constant Guard.lnk = C:\Program Files\Constant Guard Protection Suite\IDVault.exe
O4 - Global Startup: What's my computer doing.lnk = C:\Program Files\What's my computer doing\WhatsMyComputerDoing.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with PDF Viewer Plus - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Viewer Plus\Bin\PlusIEContextMenu.dll/PlusIEContextMenu.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O23 - Service: ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint Licensing Service (ABBYY.Licensing.FineReader.Sprint.9.0) - ABBYY - C:\Program Files\Common Files\ABBYY\FineReaderSprint\9.00\Licensing\NetworkLicenseServer.exe
O23 - Service: ArcSoft Connect Daemon (ACDaemon) - ArcSoft Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
O23 - Service: AMD FUEL Service - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\Fuel.Service.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BrYNSvc - Brother Industries, Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Browny02\BrYNSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: EaseUS Agent Service (EaseUS Agent) - CHENGDU YIWO Tech Development Co., Ltd - C:\Program Files\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\Agent.exe
O23 - Service: EpsonCustomerParticipation - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EpsonCustomerParticipation\EPCP.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON V3 Service4(05) (EPSON_PM_RPCV4_05) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EPW!3 SSRP\E_JT50RP.EXE
O23 - Service: Guard Agent Service (Guard Agent) - CHENGDU YIWO Tech Development Co., Ltd - C:\Program Files\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\GuardAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Local License Manager (hasplms) - SafeNet Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\hasplms.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: CGPS Service (IDVaultSvc) - White Sky, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Constant Guard Protection Suite\IDVaultSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service (IntuitUpdateService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service v4 (IntuitUpdateServiceV4) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: JumpStart Wi-Fi Protected Setup (jswpsapi) - Atheros Communications, Inc. - C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA1100\jswpsapi.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMScheduler - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: McciCMService - Alcatel-Lucent - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
O23 - Service: Motorola Device Manager Service (Motorola Device Manager) - Motorola Mobility LLC - C:\Program Files\Motorola Mobility\Motorola Device Manager\MotoHelperService.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Security Suite (N360) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Security Suite\Engine\20.4.0.40\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: @C:\Program Files\Nero\Update\NASvc.exe,-200 (NAUpdate) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Update\NASvc.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Internet Pass-Through Service (PassThru Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HTC\Internet Pass-Through\PassThruSvr.exe
O23 - Service: PDFProFiltSrvPP - Nuance Communications, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Nuance\PaperPort\PDFProFiltSrvPP.exe
O23 - Service: PST Service - Motorola - C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotForwardDaemon\ForwardDaemon.exe
O23 - Service: RealNetworks Downloader Resolver Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\RealNetworks\RealDownloader\rndlresolversvc.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: WSWNA1100 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WNA1100\WifiSvc.exe

--
End of file - 12783 bytes

Collapse -
Answer
Constant Guard
by netsiu / November 14, 2013 11:29 AM PST

WOW! Didn't know which post to click to answer all so here was best i think.

With Constant Guard install I chose only the Norton and left all the rest unchecked and did not allow the tool bar. Hate extra toolbars! Vicious tracking slowing things!

The Norton doesn't seem to slow anything and does a good gob of watching and giving a thumbs up or down on sites and downloads/installs.

The ID Vault is bundled too tightly to Constant Guard. I can disable in Internet Explorer, Firefox and such but cannot turnoff on computer. So it hunts.
Uninstall of Constant Guard is no problem. Did that once when I allowed one extra feature. But then would have to buy some internet security.

Haven't looked up HIJACKTHIS yet. Will let you know.

Collapse -
Answer
SEARCHFILTERHOST, XML files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 11:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Indexer
by netsiu / November 25, 2013 4:58 AM PST

This would explain why sometimes I would get message about max CPU and when I looked it was only one of the six in the CPU.
Think I will watch and see which then do what they did for Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.