PC Hardware forum

General discussion

hard drive connection question

by mrmean1000 / December 12, 2006 4:20 PM PST

hi

the other day i formatted my hardrive and reinstalled windows xp pro for the first time in 2-3 years.i built this computer and when i did i remember that
i hooked my maxtor 6y200p0 direct to the motherboard an asus deluxe p4p800.later i installed a pci card an ultra ata 133 that came with the hard drive and had hd connected thru that.at this time i cant find the disk for the card and for some reason my floppy drive is not reckonizing floppies so i cannot install the driver to it..i am wondering if i should just leave the drive alone as is or if hooking the pci card is worth it.if it is worth it is it possible to install the drive without using floppydrive.any help or suggestions are appreciated Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive connection question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive connection question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download the driver and install it
by linkit / December 12, 2006 9:06 PM PST

While it would bother me that the floppy drive isn't working, you should be able to install the PCI card driver without a floppy.

Do what you did last time, but with a twist:

Connect HD to motherboard
Install XP
INSTALL ALL MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS!!!
Download Ultra ATA/133 PCI card driver from Maxtor
Install driver
Move HD to Ultra ATA/133 PCI card
Set BIOS to boot from PCI card

As for getting your floppy drive working, check to see if the data cable is not connected backwards. Ensure that the data and power cables are firmly inserted into the drive and motherboard slot.

Collapse -
I suspect
by Bob__B / December 12, 2006 11:12 PM PST

your mobo ide ports support ata100 or maybe ata133...check the manual.

If either of these are true then hook the hd straight to the mobo and remove the pci card.

If you want to play...great fun...get a benchmark tool and flip the hd from the ide port to the pci card....test.

I'll go with the ide port....plain vanilla.

Collapse -
ok hmmmmmmmmmm
by mrmean1000 / December 13, 2006 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: I suspect

ok i cant go thru another windows reinstall i have everything working great now.it seems its hooked to mobo thru one of the ata 100s...so my question is how would i load the ata133 card driver onto my pc without using a floppy and floppy drive?...on the maxtor site you download a zip file and are supposed to extract it to a floppy and boot from floppy.they have no alternitive method...i have a dvd burner some blank dvds and i got alcohol120% and power iso can i use that stuff to do it somehow?also when i go into bios i cannot set it to boot from the card and the card in hardware profiles has a yellow ?

Collapse -
Go to the Card mfr's site and download the driver
by Ray Harinec / December 13, 2006 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: ok hmmmmmmmmmm

from there. Either run from the download or save to a location and run from there.

Collapse -
nope
by mrmean1000 / December 13, 2006 3:00 AM PST

that doesnt work i even put the files on a dvd as they would be on a floppy and set bios to boot from the dvd and nothing happened...i hate floppies they have given me problems for years either this disk can not be formated or the disc is not writable screw you floppy ! i hate you

Collapse -
Don't try to boot from the driver disk
by linkit / December 13, 2006 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: nope

You can extract the drivers to whatever directory you choose. It doesn't have to be the A drive.

Do this:

Extract to C:\MaxtorDriver
Open Device Manager and find the "SCSI and RAID Controller" with a '?' next to it.
Double-click on that device and install or update driver
Tell the computer to look for the driver in C:\MaxtorDriver\winxp

Collapse -
(NT) If this fails, try a different PCI slot
by linkit / December 13, 2006 3:37 PM PST
Collapse -
Awe, floppy is your friend
by linkit / December 13, 2006 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: nope

Don't be so hard on the ol' floppy. You can get a new floppy drive for less than $10, or better yet, cannibalize an old computer for one.

New motherboards (likely including yours) can boot from a USB floppy drive. It also comes in handy with newer notebook computers that don't have one.

Collapse -
Just curious.
by Bob__B / December 13, 2006 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: ok hmmmmmmmmmm

After you get this all sorted and get the hd moved to the ext. controller.....do you see a diff?

I'm not trying to make fun.....I'm serious.

I wish I had enough hardware to test different configs but so far what I'm seeing is it's tough to stress an ata66 port.

Thinking your going to have to do some serious disk work before the diff between ata100 and ata133 shows.

Perhaps you or another member can enlighten me.

Anyway....getting/installing the proper drivers will give you a chance to talk to/cuss at the machine...I've done that often.

Collapse -
hmmmmmm
by mrmean1000 / December 13, 2006 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: Just curious.

ok i got it going some way it wasnt easy hehe...will i notice a diff prob not lol but im sure it will make some diff.this was a nightmare i built this pc like 3 years ago i bought all the parts on ebay i tried to get the best i could i prob shoulda went with that raid crap tho.asus p4p800 deluxe 3gig p4 800fsb 2 gigs ram radeon 9800 pro 256 200gig hd and she was a screamer in her day.i didnt notice my pc was behind the times until i installed flight sim x lol..i have not reformatted or reinstalled windows till now.so she was filled up with rtons of crapola i remeber running antivirus and was like 50k files..the straw that broke the camels back was when i unplugged my saitek gamers keyboard usb and when i put back in the pc went crazy would lock up i couldnt get the command pad to work and everything seemed meessed..restarting was a nightmare first i couldnt find my xp pro disks then i couldnt get the pci ata card working.im all good now.will i notice a diff between the pci card and the motherboard con prob not .it reminds me of when i put a k&n air filter in my 03 mach did it make a diff prob did i notice the difference i dont know lol..pc world is funny i notice if the numbers are better people are happier look at video cards they allways saying im getting this fps and so on but its more like having the better numbers than actually noticing a difference..thank you all for helping me Happy

Collapse -
If you wish to simplify...
by linkit / December 13, 2006 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: hmmmmmm

I agree with "bob b."

It's not to say that it's a terrible thing to hook up a PATA HD to a PCI controller card when you could attach it directly to the motherboard's PATA slot, but I don't unless it is necessary.

An ATA/133 HD will run just fine on an ATA/100 motherboard slot. In fact, just about all of today's hard drives still perform in the 70-90MB/s range, regardless of the designated burst speed (ATA/100/133, SATA 150, SATA300). The PCI card that came with the Maxtor was really helpful to motherboards that didn't have at least ATA/100 or a BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA (large HD's). Your motherboard doesn't have those issues, so you really could pull the card to free a PCI slot a have one less component to power. Nevertheless, I do recognize that you probably have your reasons for wanting to use it--maybe you have too many drives (HD's and optical drives) taking up the 2 PATA (IDE) channels.

Anyhoo, glad it's working!

Collapse -
yeah
by mrmean1000 / December 18, 2006 2:23 AM PST

thats what i figured kinda like when broadband dsl and cable starting getting popular the cable and dsl companies would send ya a modem ...i dont notice a difference between the 100 and 133

happy holidays all

Collapse -
oh yeah
by mrmean1000 / December 13, 2006 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: Just curious.

other than having my system nice and clean and set up like it was brand new again was while looking for xp disks i came across an 80 gig
seagate barracuda ata 5 so i got that thrown in there now too Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.