Desktops forum

General discussion

hard drive compatibility problem

by yuyobbo / February 4, 2008 4:47 PM PST

Ok, this problem might not have a solution, but I cannot stand letting my old hard drive laying there without being used for the rest of its life. At least I will try the last time.

My old hard drive is Maxtor 6L300R0 ATA. It is actually taken out of a one touch external drive and intended to be an internal one.

then I bought a desktop from HP

it is a6120n desktop. features over here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01048279&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3437575&lang=en

And it is Vista system.

The issue is that, I intalled the maxtor drive and the Vista system seems to be able to read the features of the drive. But the drive content is unreadable and unaccessable.

I tried to buy different data cables, but that does not solve the problem.

Is it because of the motherboard is to advanced and can never read ATA hard drive anymore? Or is it Vista system has compatibility issues? If I install a XP dual system solve the problem?

BTW, this is another issue, but I am planning to install XP dual system in my mind, if you are kind enough to check that wether it is achievable.

So I hope I can still use the hard drive again. But if there is no solution to my problem, I'll have to dump it or give it to someone else.

Millions of thanks.

Yobbo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive compatibility problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive compatibility problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What have you tried?
by welrdelr / February 4, 2008 5:23 PM PST

Have you tried booting as linux live CD to see if the disk can be detected? If it can- with the live cd- it can also be read and reformatted.
XP dual boot? Why? If it had different kernels to load with different functions, I could understand; but, Windows NT- of which XP and Vista are direct descendants- doesn't have this function. You also won't get a true 64bit experience from Windows. If you have the system and you can run Macromedia Flash in a browser, 64bit mode isn't utilized.
You can install two versions of Windows XP- makes as much sense as me installing debian etch amd64 2.6.18 twice- just keep them as primary partitions. Know what bootloader you will use and be sure you can use it easily.

Collapse -
by yuyobbo / February 4, 2008 5:34 PM PST
In reply to: What have you tried?

I don't know how to use linux. Honestly, I am not so good with PC hardwares. I tried to install MaxBlast 5. It doesn't help. Actually the system could find the maxtor hard drive, and read features. But it simply cannot read the content.
Guess there is not good solution then.

No there are other reasons I want to use XP.

Collapse -
anyway
by welrdelr / February 4, 2008 5:46 PM PST
In reply to: reply

Use Nero or Sonic- whichever you have- to burn an iso. Look for knoppix at knopper.net
click the flag of your language, download the recent image for a cd
about 700MB
burn the image as an iso file
reboot the computer with the disc in the drive
let the cd boot
click on the k
control center
peripherals
keyboard
set repeat rate at 15/sec
press numbers lock on your keyboard if you use this feature
see icons on desktop
click on each that has h/sda1/2
open and read

click the console at the bottom- looks like a tv screen -
type sudo su when it comes up
(only click once on any icon in this environment)
type qtparted after "root@knoppix" comes up
look at the disks in the list
when you see one that matches the one with the file system you want to remove
click format as
choose ntfs or fat
all of this is in the right click and drop down menus
choose commit
format
exit
reboot
you will have a disk that has the proper file system for you to install.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!