PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard drive Blues

by C20H25N3O / January 1, 2007 5:38 AM PST

Ok, This will be a long story, but at the start there were will be a few points that summarize my questions/problems, and the the long story.

1. What is wrong with the drive? -- is it really dead? Device manger, and Bios still see it.
2. would purchasing a converter to make it a USB drive work in retrieving files?
3. if no, what will work

The computer in question is my girlfriends, well ex-girlfriend now. It was an old gateway, about 3 or 4 years old. I am not sure if it is Fat32 or NTFS. i assume it is NTFS because windows XP was installed on the computer. Simply, one day I came home from work, and her screen was blank and she was laying down, I move the mouse to receive a "PXE-E61: Media test failed, check cable" at the boot screen which would continue every time I booted it up. I understand what that means.

and while the bios still saw the hard drive I knew the hard drive was not dead, so I changed the jumper settings threw in a spare 60gb I had (the old one was 40gb) and reinstalled windows xp, and set the old drive as a slave. Except "My computer" does not notice any partitions, but device manager sees it.

Next, i have tried moving the hard drive into another computer, and again bios sees the drive but does not boot from it. I figure there is a problem in the master boot record as I've even tried using different IDE cables. So I guess my question is does anyone have any other ideas for me? and if my hard drive is damaged how can I recover my files I there are a lot of pictures on there from travels we took, and what not (we were together for over 2 years, and there are a lot of memory's on there which we should've backed up)

anyone questions ask, and I will try and offer more explanation. I am not a computer expert, but I am by no means computer illiterate.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive Blues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive Blues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try ZAR
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Hard drive Blues

Look up Zero Assumption Recovery. If it works then you only need to decide if the files are worth it.

Bob

Collapse -
ZAR
by C20H25N3O / January 1, 2007 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Try ZAR

ZAR looks to be about what I need, but there must be a manual way to get the same information.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: ZAR

If ZAR shows your files, why not use that?

Or did you just reveal the files are not worth that many dollars?

Bob

Collapse -
yeah, but
by C20H25N3O / January 1, 2007 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused.

well reading about ZAR the program claims to do about what I need it to, but there is about a $80 licensing fee. All it does is provide a GUI to a process that must be able to be preformed manually. Follow?

Collapse -
Sorry to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: yeah, but

It appears to me that you didn't try the demo or...

The files are not worth the 80 bucks.

Good luck,

Bob

Collapse -
faulty logic
by C20H25N3O / January 1, 2007 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry to read that.

Comeon Bob, don't throw that logical fallacy on me. Now the demo doesn't do to much. Furthermore, no nothing is worth 80 dollars when I know it can be done for free. I understand you don't have an answer for me, and I appericate the help you offered. if anyone else has advice I am all ears.

Afterall, I am still only speculating that the problem is a damaged MBR, how do I rule out other problems, what are other problems. If the problem is a damaged MBR, then I will be focusing my time now on understanding the function and properities of the MBR to manipulate it to give it what I want. I don't need a GUI. It obviously can be done without it.

Collapse -
The MBR is easy to fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: faulty logic

And widely documented. I may have missed it that you wanted this fixed for free.

Sorry, best of luck. Look up PC FILE INSPECTOR. Second place to ZAR but free.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you.
by C20H25N3O / January 1, 2007 4:43 PM PST

Thanks, I'll look into this more tomorrow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?