PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Bad Sectors

After a window opened asking if I wanted to download an update to the LogicTech Web Cam we recently installed, I declined but the computer started acting unusual with several windows opening asking to End a certain Task. When I rebotted ChkDsk would start but Freeze at 6%. I tried to open in safe mode but would freeze and it would not open in Last Good Performance. So, need less to say I can not access the computer.

I used the Seagate DOS Disk Diagnosis Tool and it found one bad sector. Although it provides the option to repair the bad sector, I have been hesitant since after searching the web there appears to be mixed feelings about doing a repair to a bad section that it can actually cause more harm.

I back up files fairly regularly but would be concerned about some email address book, internet favorites and some other settings.

I am not sure if it would be better to get another hard drive and install it as the master and the bad one as the slave and copy data or if repairing the bad sector would be the better option. If I would get another hard drive, I assume I would have to install an operating system in order to view the contents of the old drive.

I have a six year old Dell 8400 running Windows xp sp3 with a 160 gig Seagate Hard Drive with about 60 gig used. I run Avast and Spy-Bot regularly.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Bad Sectors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Bad Sectors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seatools

In reply to: Hard Drive Bad Sectors

Fixing the bad sector usually means relocating what it can to spare areas of the disk. The diagnostics utility should return a code as well. The code, if the disk is within the warranty replacement period, could qualify for a replacement disk. In any event, bad sectors are known to multiply in their number and the best advice is to be proactive and replace the disk as soon as practical. Back everything up ASAP. You might also be able to let Seatools do the repair and then clone the disk to a new one. If you want to keep it as spare for now, you may do so but don't put anything critical on it that's not backed up elsewhere.

Collapse -
(NT) Is any of you data backed up ??

Collapse -
Data backed up

In reply to: Is any of you data backed up ??

Pretty much anything of importance is backed up such as docs, spreadsheets, photos, etc. There is probably information in a few recent emails I wouldn't mind being able to retreive as well as a few programs for which I downloaded and may not be able to get any longer but nothing that I would consider critical.

Thanks

Collapse -
Then I'd replace the HDD and image the existing HDD

In reply to: Data backed up

"as is" to a new larger HDD. Assuming that's successful, you can 'tinker' at your leisure getting anything else off the drive you may want.

If that doesn't work, then you could use Windows, SeaTools or SpinRite to read the data and move readable data to new spare sectors or on the disk.

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Bad Sector Repaired

I ran the Seagate DOS Tool and had it repair the bad sector and I am up and running again. Now need to go and get another hard drive and image it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear...let us know how the replacement works.

In reply to: Bad Sector Repaired

Collapse -
Chkdsk

You may try chkdsk command to mark the bad sectors, or some other tool can help you repair bad blocks on your computer http://www.diskgenius.net/help/check-repair-bad-sectors.html The checking and repairing is free offered on this program, which means you don't have to register the program to repair bad blocks.

Tips, do backup your data before doing this since anything unexpected happpened may took your data from you if there were no backup copy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!