General discussion

Hard drive anxiety

(Tech info below) Ok,well, a few months back some coffee was 'splashed' onto cpu.When it wouldn't complete start up, I opened and cleaned visible drops, unplugged hard drive which had maybe 2 or 3 droplets of coffee on front,wiped those gently away.Afterward omputer started up right away-however,there were random crashes (The system has recovered from a serious error msg after reboot)and some programs like itunes, any streaming web site,my business programs would freeze up. The event log reasons varied,(what is a 'bug check?') but more and more I am getting these Dll registry informations for various programs.(The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.--WHAT REMOTE COMPUTER?) For arguments sake, I researched the possibility that it was coincidence and scanned for virus-nothing- and no new software installed either.I did that drive test and it showed nothing. Some days my computer will just crash and reboot over and over inabling me to get anything done;other days it runs without a single problem. Over the couple days,though, I am lucky if it works at all, and I am beyond frustrated! I work from home and obviously need my computer so I hope someone can help me fix this ...thanks

hewlett-packard pavillion
amd athlon xp 3200+2.19ghz,448mb ram
microsoft windows xp
home edition
version 2002
svc pk 3

some error log examples:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 4/13/2010
Time: 5:43:51 AM
Description:
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 760c7d3b, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804eb55b.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Time: 5:40:48 AM
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x760c7d3b, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804eb55b). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041310-02.dmp.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: SQLBrowser
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Time: 5:41:19 AM
Description:
The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid.

These are just a few examples of what has been happening...

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Hard drive anxiety
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hard drive anxiety
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bad news.

Those amd athlon xp 3200+ once they start crashing rarely recover without replacing the cpu and motherboard. The shop here will not accept these units unless we are to replace the motherboard and CPU but with new machines costing less it's no longer done.

It's not that it can't be fixed but the cost of repair now exceeds replacement which can upset some.

Hint: 5 year design life.
Bob

- Collapse -
reply to R.Proffitt

Thank you for your honesty....wondering then,if I purchased another system, would my data be transferable or has the damage corrupted what I have rendering my files useless?

- Collapse -
That's called backup.

The moderators have a saying. We only lose what we didn't backup.

If we don't backup then we are saying that we are ready for the loss.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: files

Usually, the data on the hard disk is quite OK, and you can get the data off on any other PC (connecting it via an IDE/SATA-USB2 or in an enclosure). No need yet to worry about your data.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:Files

Please excuse my ignorance here- computerwise,I am very good at following how to do (fix,install,take apart and put back)and remembering for the next time-but I don't have the general knowledge-always have to look things up- so when I searched for what an enclosure was I got a gazillion patio references and nothing to explain the info you gave me! Could you clarify? I can connect my existing hard drive to the new computer? What about compatability issues since most new pc run that vista or 7 and mine is XP? Do I access that drive through the "my computer"? And you say the data is usually alright? Why is it then it crashes while running certain programs or won't complete saving word docs-thank GOD for auto recovery! The hard drive just seems to run and run kinda like a cd that can't be played-it just spins and spins.
Thank you for taking time to help me. I really appreciate it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info