Storage forum

General discussion

Hard disk regognition problems

I am using a 10 year old gateway 2000 for a carputer. It only has 130mhz processor speed and 64 mb or ram. I have no idea of anything else about the computer. I am trying to install 2 hard drives in the computer. Both have correct jumper set up. One is master and the other is slave. The computer boots up and shows the hard drives in the start up but when I go into the system setup it shows the drives as d: and e:. I want them to be c: and d:. It also will not let me format the drives or recognize them when I try to partition them. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard disk regognition problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard disk regognition problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What size hard disks?

In reply to: Hard disk regognition problems

These old machines had limits to what drives they identify. Details were missing from your post, but at the 133MHz area, I ran in problems even at the 8GB mark.

Bob

Collapse -
Operating System??

In reply to: What size hard disks?

Sounds like a WIN95 machine.. in which case.. its probably not worth upgrading. Even a 98se machine is going to have problems with increased hardware on this chasis.

Collapse -

In reply to: Hard disk regognition problems

I am installing a 8gb and a 2gb. The 8 gb was in there already. I am replacing the original 1 gb with the 2gb. I am planning on running win95 because thats all that I have laying around. But it did already have win 98 before I started.

Collapse -
Time warp travel.

In reply to: Reply

Just need a topic...

Such old drives may have ODD (to today's users) jumper methods. Some drives had a SLAVE PRESENT jumper.

But without exacting details I can't guess you missed the jumpers or what type IDE cable you used.

Then again, the 2GB drive could be dead. It is certainly past the 5 year mark.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.