Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard disk partition creation interrupted - windows wnt start

by ashishrulz / May 9, 2008 7:49 PM PDT

Hi,

I am in this big problem and I would be very glad to hear from you...

I recently got a new laptop with 160GB hard disk with vista premium....I was using paragon partition manager to partition it...The partition process was taking place during the boot time and it was showing an hour remaining.

After sometime the laptop went to sleep and I could see the screen went dark and sleep light turned on...Not knowing if the partition was still happening I pressed the power on button and the laptop started again giving me message that 'Operation interrupted and please insert a recovery disk'. The only thing I can access is the BIOS...

I do not have a recovery disk and niether the vista cd as this was an OEM version pre installed. I had an XP cd which when I put shows the full partition as unformatted space.

From above...what do you think is the best way forward...Should I get the recovery CD? Should I install XP and format the partition I see(I had to disable SATA when installing XP)

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard disk partition creation interrupted - windows wnt start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard disk partition creation interrupted - windows wnt start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just asking one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

Why no make, model on the laptop in your message?

It could have been an easy fix of some f11 key during boot to perform a recovery. But without make or model I can't look into that.

Please answer my question in my first sentence then add in the missing information.
Bob

Collapse -
The make and model
by ashishrulz / May 10, 2008 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Just asking one thing.

Hey bob,

Thanks for replying...to answer your question

The laptop is a lenovo 3000 Series N200 type 0769. Comes preloaded with Vista Home Premium edition with no recovery disk. There is a seperate partition created by lenovo which I can see when I install my bootable XP disk as a service partition.

But while booting if I use the lenovo care button on my laptop it doesnt help much as the only options are to access the bios and detect any hardware fault...the latter just boots again.

Collapse -
Is this that blue button?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: The make and model

Sadly you need to order restore media. I looked over the docs and you are given a chance to make your own but appear to passed up on the offer.

Can I ask why you did that? Also, why didn't you answer my first question?
Bob

Collapse -
What Question please?
by ashishrulz / May 10, 2008 3:33 AM PDT

Bob,

You asked "Also, why didn't you answer my first question?"
Can you please tell me what question were you specifically asking...I thought you meant the make and model of the laptop.

The blue button is on the Thinkpad models and it used to be called IBM blue or something like that. Mine one has a button called lenovo care...which essentially tries to restore the laptop to factory settings through a seperate partition created by the manufacturer...but even that doest seem to work...

What I was doing was to partition my 160GB hdd into smaller partitions...everything was fine until my laptop went in sleep mode and the hdd access light turned off...then I had to switch it on again but just couldnt boot in as the partition process was interrupted in middle...

my bootable xp cd shows one service partition of 5GB which I think is created by the manufacturer and the other 146GB as 'unpartitioned space'

Collapse -
It's in my first reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: What Question please?

"Why no make, model on the laptop in your message?"

You don't have to answer but it would help to know why members leave such off their posts. I read how you broke it and wish you the speediest of recovery as you order replacement media.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by ashishrulz / May 10, 2008 3:38 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

Well I should have mentioned it in the first post and would have helped fellow boarders...but I answered it in my second post above as "The laptop is a lenovo 3000 Series N200 type 0769".

Well I was thinking to order the recovery CD...but I am not sure if its going to help. Will wait till then and hope for the best

Collapse -
When are you pressing that button?
by Edward ODaniel / May 10, 2008 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: The make and model

Here is how you restore to factory defaults right out of the manual:

All of the files on the primary hard disk partition (usually drive C) will be lost in the recovery process. However, before any data is overwritten, you will be given the opportunity to save one or more files to other media.
1. If possible, save all your files and shut down your operating system.
(you are beyond that
2. Turn off your computer for at least 5 seconds.
3. Select the On position of the wireless radio switch on your computer.
Note: If you forget to select the On position of the wireless radio switch, your wireless network card will not be recognized, and the wireless card driver will not be included in your system.
4. Press the Lenovo Care button to turn on the computer and immediately enter the Rescue and Recovery workspace.
5. Click Restore your system, select Restore my hard drive to the original factory state, and follow the instructions on the screen.

In case you didn't get around to reading your troubleshooting manual here is a link:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67664

Other documents and help for your notebook can be found through this link:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do

Collapse -
F11 not working
by ashishrulz / May 12, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

Thanks Edward...

I tried pressing F11 while booting and even that has no effect...I still get the same message to put in a recovery cd Sad

From what I know a recovery disk doesnt contain Windows but just all the drivers ...so I wonder even if I get it from Lenovo if thats going to be of any good...coz the partitioning process got interuppted and hence I think the OS has been corrupted.

Collapse -
Didn't you read what I offered?
by Edward ODaniel / May 13, 2008 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: F11 not working

I said nothing about F11.

4. Press the Lenovo Care button to turn on the computer and immediately enter the Rescue and Recovery workspace.

Go back to my post and read and follow the directions I bolded because UNLESS YOU deleted the recovery partition manually that is how Lenovo indicates the recovery should be handled.

Collapse -
Niether F11 or lenovo care was working
by ashishrulz / May 13, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

Yes...I did read that link...

Lenovo care shows up a console which only gives 3 options...one of them is to access the bios, other to recover from hardware fault and third to boot normally.
The second one does nothing and give me the message to insert recovery disk.

I contacted Lenovo today and they said they would send me recovery disk which will restore it back to original state. I hope that works.
Thanks

Collapse -
Try this!!! F11 and this article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

Read http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-46088

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!