Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard disk over 137 GB

by laser / July 8, 2004 5:22 PM PDT

My computer is based on the VIA KT600 chipset, with an AMD Athlon 1800+ CPU. I have dual boot: Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro SP1. I have two disks: 40 GB master and 160 GB slave.

The BIOS recognizes the large drive (and I have verified that by running 48LBAchk.exe). The trouble is with the partition above 137 GB. What I write in Windows 98 I can read only in Windows 98, and what I write in Windows XP I can read only in Windows XP.

Windows 98 can supposedly handle the large disk with no problem, while for Windows XP I have installed a Maxtor program to change the registry to recognize the large disk.

The disk manufacturer and the chipset manufacturer have been as helpful as they can, but I have no solution yet.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard disk over 137 GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard disk over 137 GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hard disk over 137 GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Hard disk over 137 GB

If you use the drive makers tool or drive extender, such an issue will occur. To "go native" is the best method.

FDISK was updated, so get that and see if you can make a native FAT32 partition which both XP and 98 can use.

Remember that XP doesn't do over 137GB without SP1. I've run into a few that can't apply SP1 due to their version of XP, so those will just have to get a proper XP.

Collapse -
Re: Hard disk over 137 GB
by laser / July 10, 2004 5:11 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply.

The most recent thing I did (before describing my problem) was to delete the partition and then recreate it using FDISK that came with Windows 98 SE. (This happens to be the advice I got from Maxtor, but it did not help.) Is there a more recent version?

I am indeed running Windows XP SP1.

And just to clarify, the partition does exist and is used by both Windows 98 and Windows XP. Just that the one cannot read what the other wrote.

What shall I try next?

Collapse -
The updated FDISK link and supply it's output...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2004 5:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: The updated FDISK link and supply it's output...
by laser / July 11, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

I downloaded the program you suggested, although Microsoft said that it was intended to solve a slightly different problem.

I then used the new FDISK to delete the M: logical disk and then to recreate it. Then I copied about half of the former contents of M: back to M:, all this under Windows 98 SE.

Then I rebooted to Windows XP, and only a small portion of M: was legible. I presume that this was the portion that was under the 137 GB limit. For the rest, the directory names were OK, but the filenames underneath them were what seemed to be random text, sometimes words or parts of words and oy\ther times pure gibberish. In other words, the same situation that I had before.

Then, under Windows XP, I formatted the logical disk M:. (Interesting that it was not easy to do, as though I had some program that was using M:, even in safe mode.)

The same story as above, except in reverse. In both cases, under each operating system I could read whatever I had written under that system, but not what I had written under the other OS.

Do you suppose that there is a solution?
The results of FDISK/status were:

Fixed Disk Drive Status
Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 38170 100%
C: 7640
E: 7632
F: 7632
G: 7632
H: 7632
2 15632 8 100
D :3218 5 %
I : 191 4
J :3218 5
K :3218 5
L :3218 5
M :2567 4

)1 MByte = 1048576 bytes(
:3218 5
K :3218 5
L :3218 5
M :2567 4

(1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

What you may not know is that drive letters in XP don't have to match any other installed OS. So storing stuff on Drive M in 98 may indeed not show up on M: in XP.

It's very interesting what you've done with all those partitions. I wish you the best of luck.

Collapse -
Re: Aha!
by laser / July 11, 2004 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Aha!

I made sure that the drive letters under XP and 98 are identical. As I said, the directories copy over, but their contents do not. I see the directory names.

I guess there is nothing to be done, then?

Collapse -
Rehash it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Aha!

Are you using Explorer?

If so, try...

DIR M:\thedir\*.* /A

Does a command prompt show the files?

Collapse -
Re: The updated FDISK link and supply it's output...
by Cursorcowboy / July 12, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

The "Computer Management Console" (click to see a screen shot) which consists of a window divided into two panes (left pane contains the console tree; the right pane contains details) may be used to view disk volume information, [Q308423].

Note also: The article [Q300415] describes the command-line Diskpart utility and the actions that are supported by the "Disk Management (Q309000)" snap-in tool to display disk configuration, such as the detail and list options among others to ascertain disk by number, the status, size, free space, and etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?