PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Disk Drive Problems

by mirfield / March 13, 2007 9:20 PM PDT

Hi there everyone,

Recently, my HDD has been playing up. I've had to run chkdsk twice within the last month. The first time round, there were something like a dozen errors caused by bad clusters. Today, there were just two corrupted files caused by bad clusters. One of these corrupted files had caused my PC to crash yesterday. The HDD is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X. Fortunately, I do carry out regular backups.

I'm trying to decide if I should replace the existing Maxtor drive with an identical replacement. The existing drive does rattle a lot when running and I obviously don't want to lose precious data, etc.

Advice please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Disk Drive Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Disk Drive Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what I read
by lacsr / March 13, 2007 9:30 PM PDT

the max drive capacity for that model is 80GB. I would replace the drive at the first opportunity because you are very close to having more trouble with it. Drives are easy to find with more capacity and are cheap. I would go with a larger drive. If you buy one from a brick and mortar store just look for a sale. Otherwise, pick a seller you trust. You do not need to match the drive exactly, just the interface (IDE)

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by mirfield / March 13, 2007 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: From what I read

Many thanks for your swift reply. It turns out that I can get an 80GB DiamondMax D740X from Amazon UK. I think the price is

Collapse -
failing hard drive
by linkit / March 13, 2007 9:44 PM PDT

Yep, replace the hard drive.

Some older computer systems have issues with HD over 127GB or 137GB. See http://www.48bitlba.com.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.