Storage forum

General discussion

Hard disk detected in USB but in My Computer

by rybryb / September 5, 2008 8:20 PM PDT

This is similiar problem posted by someone before (with bad SMS language!) and the posts were not complete.
My problem: Installed 60GB 3.5" IDE HDD from my old computer (XP)which m/board died, into an external enclosure with USB 2.0 connector in order to retrieve data from it. When the external HDD was inserted into my laptop running XP via USB, the pop up message says that the removable storage was detected and ready for use. In the My Computer window however, it doesn't show up.
In the Disk Management window, I can't see it either so I cannot assign a drive letter to it.
I've tried all three config for the HDD as master, slave and CS and even without the jumper.
Same thing when I tried connecting via USB to another desktop PC running Vista.

I don't want to reformat the HDD as I want to retrieve files from it.
The PC I connected to does not have additional IDE connector for me to try as internal slave drive.

Helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard disk detected in USB but in My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard disk detected in USB but in My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ext HDD detected in USB but Not in My Computer
by rybryb / September 5, 2008 8:25 PM PDT

Sorry, Title should be "Hard disk detected in USB but NOT in My Computer".

Collapse -
Try the usuals. See google for each one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 10:47 PM PDT

TESTDISK
GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY

Collapse -
Thanks, but my problem is the external HDD is not detected
by rybryb / September 6, 2008 3:39 PM PDT

at all. I tried the tools mentioned but they cannot detect the external drive. May be hardware issues so I'll go get the HDD checked. The data is not corrupted as far as I know. I just need to see the external HDD drive in My Computer.

Collapse -
Why not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

Unplug the CD/DVDROM drive and use that to get your files out?

Collapse -
The original OS
by jzou / September 8, 2008 9:11 AM PDT

The OS you used to have could be interfering, what you can do is use something else to open the drive. Use Word or some other software, and click Open, bring the display to the My Computer, and see if you can still see the new hard drive. If you can, right click on it and select Open.

Usually I find that it takes a while for My Computer to refresh itself to show the new disk. You mentioned that the computers says the device is installed and ready to use, sometimes, with old legacy drive, you have to restart the computer for it to work properly. Thou I have never actually seen something like that.

Collapse -
I have the same problem as you..
by lenlen1987 / November 17, 2008 12:19 PM PST

Have you been able to retrieve your hard disk drive to display in my computer? Please help me..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.