HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Hard Booting

by rolly5272 / August 4, 2006 2:04 AM PDT

When I boot up my system lately, sometimes my Bios post screen shows up and my Bios settings have changed such as my voltage settings for my CPU speed and Ram settings, my Boot order, seek floppy disk, it loads my onboard Audio which i have disabled because i have a sound card, I will go into my bios again and change it again sometimes it will boot into windows for a minute or two then try to reboot all over again and I will get no video at all and my monitor light will blink red and not beep and go to green. at first I thought it was the CMOS battery even though my clock never lost time and I replaced the battery but thats not it.
I believe that my Motherboard has gone bad, but I need advice before I Replace it, once i do get it to boot to windows it runs fine. Here are my Specs.
Shuttle AK 35GT2 MB
AMP Athalon XP 2200 CPU
1 Gig PC2700 Memory
ATI 9550 256 Meg AGP Video Card
Turtle Beach 5.1 Sound card
Maxtor 120 gig HD
Windows XP Pro SP2 (Full Version)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Replace the Power Supply First
by Trance_Zac / August 4, 2006 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Booting

Sounds like it's failing - besides, you can't diagnose a bad motherboard without testing with a known good PSU!
And if you do wind up needing a mobo, you'llwant a new PSU to protect it anyway!
Good Luck

Collapse -
New MB
by rolly5272 / August 6, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

I thought it was the Power Supply at first but didnt think it would have an effect on my Bios Settings, but I will try that first If I do change the MB how do I delete the current MB drivers such as the 4 in 1 drivers so that I can install the new MB drivers, I am looking at a different brand of motherboard.

Collapse -
Don't Change Anything.......
by Trance_Zac / August 7, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: New MB

Except the PSU - You cannot diagnose or properly set-up your system without a known good PSU

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.