Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Harassment and Flaming

by PudgyOne / March 19, 2006 4:51 PM PST
Harassment and Flaming

CNET Networks members are not permitted to harass or ''flame'' other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of deriding that forum's topic and/or members.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Harassment and Flaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Harassment and Flaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And why did you post this here?
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Harassment and Flaming

Do you feel that the Moderators are not handling these subjects totally correctly in all forums????

As you are NOT a Moderator you do not get to see the posts that are prevented from ever seeing the light of day.

Collapse -
Rick
by tomron / March 20, 2006 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Harassment and Flaming

I know the reason you posted here,cause this is the reason for the feedback forum.

CNET is the best help forum,in fact i rate it a 10+,but the managerial aspect is another story.

I had a sitution the other day in which i received nothing less then abuse just cause i asked a question.I figured cnet would lock or delete it since it was it was going off the deep end.

John (mod) had an issue in which he tried to help someone and he tried to decipher a poorly written post,and in return the individual turned on him like a wild dog.

Other forums will move a post that is in the wrong forum,and also if someone talks trash,they are informed of this immediately.Point being,if you pull punches,people will walk all over you.

As far as i'm concered,if someone wants to talk trash,you do it in person like a man,not like a punk kid.

Tom

Collapse -
But so few forum users are even aware
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Rick

that this forum exists, or ever reads it.

If there is a problem, the forums TOS addresses that.

The best approach in my opinion would be for the Moderator of each forum periodically post a statement such as Pudgy one posted here.

A major location for such has been the Speakeasy forum. A few months ago the policy was restated and the Mods periodically bring it up to the top.

What action did you take for your case??? Did you send a mod alert?? If yes, was appropriate action taken???

Collapse -
Ray
by tomron / March 20, 2006 2:06 AM PST

I did not send mod alert cause i figured its easy to see.

Your suggestion that the Moderator of each forum periodically post a statement such as Pudgy one posted here is an excellent idea,but will be useless if not enforced,hollow threats mean nothing.

One question if i may,what is TOS

Your feedback is much appreciated,
Tom

P.S.I noticed that sometimes there is confuession as to which forum to post in,like i said CNET is the best forum for help,but why don't other forums have this problem,it's not splitting the atom.

Collapse -
Click on the Forum Policies on the left
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Ray

under Forum Information. They are the rules that are generally referred to as TOS [Terms Of Service] [terrible name IMHO]. Think that it is a carry over from ZDNET.

All the fire breathers in the Speakeasy forum know what it is. LOL:

I offer no solution on why they don't choose the correct forum. I haven't checked the numbers but seems that the Newbies may be a leadre. Lots of great help in there, with Grif a great Moderator.

SE is probably the busiest, but totally different animal.

Collapse -
Forum policies/TOS...
by John.Wilkinson / March 20, 2006 3:53 AM PST

I believe that those are actually two separate things. The TOS (Terms of Service) refers to the Terms of Usage, which are quite a bit more detailed, written by the legal department, and cover Cnet as a whole. (Remember, when you sign up in the forums you're also signing up at download.com, Cnet.com, etc. MP3.com, TV.com, and TechRepublic are separate, though.) The forum policies, on the other hand, are shorter, easier to read, and apply specifically to these forums.

At least that's the way I've seen it.
John

P.S. I stay out of the dragon's pit. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Chicken ;)
by Glenda / March 20, 2006 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Forum policies/TOS...
Collapse -
Ah, and don't forget ZDNet which started these forums
by John Robie / March 20, 2006 6:21 AM PST

that CNet purchased, and still a part of CNet.

Collapse -
(NT) Jonn, There you go again?
by taboma / March 20, 2006 7:40 AM PST

?isolating your name on my blue control bar screen here on the Forums. I asked you to fess-up to this before. Nothing back from you yet and the post from Rick (thepudgyOne) Took a screen-shot and will forward to Rick. Are you someone special on my screen shots?
Wonder why this happens? Just too funny:

Collapse -
I left off the names of a number
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 3:47 AM PST

of relatively newer Mods, Tufenuf, Flax, Williamson et al. Breathing some new life into the forums. They give complete replies rather than cryptic or a link to google.

Collapse -
In addition to what Ray posted concerning TOS,
by John Robie / March 20, 2006 3:55 AM PST

just scroll down to the very end of any CNet post and at the very bottom of the page where it shows the last sentence, "Copyright..." click on "Terms of use" which is CNets fairly new name for TOS, and it gives even the info that PudgyOne posted above.

Collapse -
Thanx John. I knew that it was
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 4:02 AM PST

somewhere else. Never had read any of them. Simply enjoyed all the wild re interpretations used by the trolls during their battles in Speakeasy. LOL

Isn't this a free country!!! ROFLMAO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?