Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Happy New Year - I Cant get into XP pro set up.

by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 12:19 AM PST

1. Original problems - boot up windows screen frozen and constantly having to install raid drivers so that my 2 raptor disks can be detected for ? reason. ? wrong drivers.

My solution: fooled around with setup options (entered into by pressing DEL at startup) and tried installing alternative raid drivers from my motherboard disk.

Reason: ? seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

Result: 2 dvd drivers no longer detected, 2 hard drives still undetected - I can see: Pri. Master Disk: none, Pri. Slave Disk: none, Sec Master Disk: none, Sec Slave Disk: none), there is no longer any boot up screen at all and no option/ability to go into setup. At the end of it all I get the message: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

2. My solution: boot from winxp pro cd - no good cause hard drives aren't detected and therefore no where to install xp and option of repair via console not possible.

Result: nothing.

*** I would really appreciate some help. I am sure it's common for newbies to get themselves into trouble like this but i have not found a net-based solution yet. I would really like to not lose the things i have on my hard drive but am willing to do a format/ fresh install if it's needed and possible. Please dont tell me i need to take my computer down to the local computer shop and pay through my nose for some guy to take 5 mins to fix the problem...

Thanks in advance. If more info is needed, ask away.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Happy New Year - I Cant get into XP pro set up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Happy New Year - I Cant get into XP pro set up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are these SATA drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 12:32 AM PST

If so, Microsoft doesn't detect those until we install SATA and maybe motherboard drivers. It's a sad situation since vendors appear to not be supplying how to install XP on such. But here's GOOGLE to the rescue. Type these words into google.com and select the article you like.

INSTALL XP TO SATA DRIVES

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I think they are SATA drives. Will google for help.
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Are these SATA drives?

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. Will report back soon.

Collapse -
it's just not happening.
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 1:56 AM PST

No luck. I am not even able to install the sata/raid drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, gigabyte (GA-K8NXP-SLI) via the 'F6' 3rd party installation option at the beginning of xp installation. The hard drives are refusing to show themselves so I therefore can't install XP freshly and cant even access the recovery console.
I am thinking that the first step I need to take is getting my setup back.

As I mentioned, I am pretty sure I stuffed it all up when I went into setup and changed some settings affecting the auto/manual/none primary/secondary masters/slaves settings (for hard drives and dvd drives). If I recall, I set them all to 'manual' if that helps. Is there some way I change these settings without the use of setup.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Collapse -
Take the BIOS settings back to "factory"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 2:19 AM PST

It's always possible to thwart an OS install this way.

Bob

Collapse -
Last resort?
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 2:38 AM PST

Yes, I have read that as a possible solution (I assume you mean by temporarily removing the cmos battery hoping that it'll reset everything when it is replaced). The only problem now is finding the cmos battery on the motherboard Silly any advice on what to look for (sorry I know it sounds stupid) and maybe how long i should keep the battery out for?

I might however give it a couple of hours before I attempt something like that incase you or someone can think of anything else Silly thanks for the help so far.

Collapse -
(NT) Or use it's menu for "defaults."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Last resort?
Collapse -
Some success!
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 3:27 AM PST

I have had some success and now have my setup back.
So now I am back to one of the original problems - the windows xp pro black boot up screen freezes (with the moving bar freezing) and there is nothing i can do to get out of it except cut the power. Each time I restart it happens again and I have to cut the power. I also don't seem to be able to boot from my xp cd even though I can now see the 2 dvd drives (still no detected hard drives as expected). Is there anything I can do perhaps in the setup which will help? Or perhaps a magic shortcut key?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Can be proper. For instance..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Some success!

XP can't handle many machines install when we have some USB devices plugged in. For some unearthly reason Microsoft seems to think this is OK. Along with the hoops you have to jump through to use SATA drives.

Sorry, I can't tell what's amiss yet. Then again we have those CRACKED XP issues which that happens to. Not much to complain about there.

Bob

Collapse -
Will keep trying
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 4:28 AM PST

Thanks for helping anyway. I'll keep fiddling around with settings until I get lucky and might consider taking it to a computer shop if i get desperate. My xp isn't cracked and it has worked fine for years on my laptop.
I guess it's just the hardware in my computer which it is having compatibility issues with. Actually, come to think of it, I really think it's my motherboard's problem as the support for it from the manufacturers isn't crash hot. Perhaps I need to keep hunting around for better drivers.

Collapse -
When you reset the BIOS to default settings....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Some success!

did you then change the boot settings in the BIOS to boot from a CD?

Sorry, not an expert myself, and I am not sure what you have done, but reading this thread Bob said to reset the BIOS to default. That may have disabled the CD drive as a boot device. Did you reset it back?

You say you can see the 2 DVD drives, (are they DVD or CD/DVD?), but does that mean you have set one in the BIOS to boot from?

Mark

Collapse -
Update...
by Ninjadragon76 / January 1, 2007 3:33 PM PST

yup, I changed the boot settings to cd 1st, hd 2nd and floppy 3rd. Still luck with the screen freezing. Another thing I have noticed is that I have lost the option to restart in safety mode/restart at the last good config etc. Does that help?
I didn't end up resetting the bios to default but finally got into setup just by holding down DEL (instead of hitting it fast/repetitively) from the moment I turn on the power (didn't think it would happen due to the screen disappearing that usually gives me the option).
So once back into setup I reset the original (stupid) changes I made that stuffed it up further in the first place.
Yeah, one is a dvd-rw and the other is a dvd-rom? Does that make a difference?
But at the end of the day, the computer freezes at the black loading windows screen (I dont even get to the blue welcome screen) when I boot the computer. I did manage to boot up using my windows cd and even went through a completed repair of windows (successfully it said) but when it rebooted the same freezing happened.
Any help/advice is appreciated whether from an expect or not. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?