Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Happy Canada Day (Friday) and Happy 4th of July on Monday.

Two great countries separated by a mere four score and eleven years, and three days.

Felicitations to all on both sides of the border. How about a truce for the weekend?

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Happy Canada Day (Friday) and Happy 4th of July on Monday.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Happy Canada Day (Friday) and Happy 4th of July on Monday.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a truce?

In reply to: Happy Canada Day (Friday) and Happy 4th of July on Monday.

DROP DEAD YA STINKING CANUCK $%#%$ %^&r$&$

Happyjust kidding Rob Happy

have a good weekend!

jonah

Collapse -
A Yank and a Yid !! After you ya trumpet playing miscreant

In reply to: a truce?

and all the best to you and yours Jonah.

Some bad news, for me at least, having opened record boxes that have remained closed since we moved back I have discovered that the folks who moved us from Britain scooped half my Jazz collection on vinyl. including much Thelonius Monk and a nearly complete collection of Django Reinhardt that was my pride and joy. They nicked about a hundred and twenty LPs with a reasonable value of at least 3 to 5 Pounds each. I'm not very happy at the moment.

If you know anyone on the dodgy side in Essex I have the address.Wink

Rob

Collapse -
With all the stories I hear and read on movers

In reply to: A Yank and a Yid !! After you ya trumpet playing miscreant

I wonder if any of them are reliable.

Did some internet search on companies when getting ready to move my wife's things here. Lots of stories of contracts that when delivery was to be made, they wouldn't unload without huge extra payments for overweight (fine print, and unspecified charges for it mostly) or other 'unexpected difficulties' that weren't included in the quoted, and paid up front, price.

Seems to be almost completely corrupt business from reading, for almost all the companies.

We rented truck, loaded and unloaded with family help on each end, and drove the truck from Texas to NC outselves, but we didn't have that much to move. I can't imagine doing that with a full household of furniture and a lifetime collection of 'stuff'. Of course, I realize moving across the ocean, you had even less choice.

But have a good weekend, you and everyone else.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Tell me about it...

In reply to: With all the stories I hear and read on movers

Tell me about it. When I recently moved some of my books to Atlanta (a 400 mile trip) the final bill worked out to 75 cents a pound. I lost 95%+ of what I owned, but had I known that I'd have moved and saved less than half of what I did.
I look on it as a form of tuition and that "education" insured that a mover will never again catch me like that.

Collapse -
Wonderful idea, Rob

just curious - do they have any celebration of the 4th in Canada, other than maybe some individuals, such as yourself, that are from here? I would assume they wouldn't, but always good to find reasons to party Wink

Anyway, my fiance, Michael, and I are taking my young'un, Kelton, to the Oregon coast for the weekend. We will be at the southern tip of the State, a stone's throw from CA. We decided the 3 of us needed to get away from here for a bit, and have some fun with Kelton. Fireworks on the beach. Maybe fly a kite. Some good seafood. I'm looking forward to it.

Hope y'all have a good weekend, also.
Anyone who is traveling, please be safe.

--Marcia

Collapse -
Your vacation sounds wonderful and a superb idea

In reply to: Wonderful idea, Rob

Very isolated celebrations here if you can find a group of Yanks to party with, though many people from Buffalo vacation on the north shore of Lake Erie and celebrations are much more common there. We know 2 other couples in TO but we'll probably do the Fireworks Appreciation thing this evening (setting off fireworks yourself is mostly done on Victoria Day, May 24th), and have dinner together on Sunday as a stand-in for Monday since they're all working and I need to finish the house stuff to justify my existence and set an example for the young man.

Incidentally they took photos at the Prom a week ago which came home with Robbie's report card (I'm irritated, he fell off the honor roll). They had to stand Robbies s/o (significant other) on a box to get them both in frame. She's 5'4", hes 6'2". It is to laugh. She excited much comment in the new neighborhood when her parents drove her over to pick Robbie up, he in his tux, she in a skin tight sheath. She has a shape, to quote an old 1970 Woody Allen line "that would induce lycanthropy in a Boy Scout." All went well though he scared the pants off both of us a few days later when he didn't come home 'til the sun came up. We had a long talk at that point and he now calls at 10PM to update us and give us a expected time of return. We have settled on 1:30 as his curfew. It's later than I'm comfortable with but I'm notoriously old fashioned.

My hopes and best wishes will follow you wherever you are.

Rob

Collapse -
Agreed!

In reply to: Wonderful idea, Rob

We just returned from our vacation very late last night. Drove up to Michigan to visit my family last Saturday, and Greg has until the 5th off, so we have a couple days now to relax at home. It took us about 13 hours for a typical 11.5 hour drive, so the busy traffic affected us a bit. Of course people were anxious to get to their destinations, as were we to get home! The police were also out in full force.

Brought back lots (over 10 pounds) of good Koegel's Viennas and Frankfurters, I'm SOOO looking forward to tossing them on the grill! I can't eat Carolina hotdogs, although I'm getting quite used to being a hillbilly otherwise! It's good to see the mountains again.

Cindi

Collapse -
Thank you

And I wish everyone on both sides of the border the same

Collapse -
Let's all get together....

for a friendly game of Baseball on ice!!

Collapse -
Let freedom ring....

.... flags wave, and all be thankful we live in a democracy!

As we sing our National Anthems, let us think of the meaning of the words, and of those who went before to build our countries, and who protect them.

And, of course, enjoy the traditional celebrations and menus that mark the days.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re traditional celebrations and menus

In reply to: Let freedom ring....

Hotdogs and cheeseburgers?

LOL, but they can be great walking around a park waiting for the fireworks. Or when an entire family or a group of neighbors all descend on one backyard for chow and chat.

Happy holiday weekend to all, and for any like me that are working, remember the day anyway.

AND EVERYONE be safe, be careful with any home fireworks, and be extra careful on the roads. Traffic will be heavy and erratic almost certianly.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: hotdogs

In reply to: Re traditional celebrations and menus

Reminded me for some reason of part of an old routine by comedian Steve Martin, in which he refers to hotdogs being composed of animal lips and rat feces. LOL Grin

'Bout the only time I really like them is when I am "out," such as camping or some other outdoor function. I prefer a "polish sausage dog" to the traditional franks.

Our holiday menu for this weekend? Fresh seafood! Lots and lots of fresh seafood! Happy

Collapse -
The flags...

In reply to: Re traditional celebrations and menus

... that our neighborhood association puts along the streets for approprate holidays are up, and look so nice. I carried them for our street while my son used a rebar to make the holes for them in the easements.

I know my 4th will be a quiet one. I have some barbecue in the freezer. I'll watch the festivities on TV, and see if any of the fireworks display downtown can be seen from my patio. Last year I could see some set off by people living in a neighborhood across the river. (Though they are illegal in my county.)

A good hot dog does sound wonderful!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Happy Canada Day

eh?

Collapse -
Yeah, eh? And a Happy Independence day to you too, eh?

In reply to: Happy Canada Day

The "eh" thing is one of the few things that can be funnier in real life than it is when used for comic effect. And, boy, is it pervasive here.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.