Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Happy 90th Birthday Dave Brubeck

by Ziks511 / December 6, 2010 7:33 AM PST

A delightful man and a great and talented family. Married more than 65 years to Iola.

'Intending to work with his father on their ranch, Brubeck entered the College of the Pacific (now the University of the Pacific) studying veterinary science, but transferred on the urging of the head of zoology, Dr Arnold, who told him "Brubeck, your mind's not here. It's across the lawn in the conservatory. Please go there. Stop wasting my time and yours."'

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Happy 90th Birthday Dave Brubeck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Happy 90th Birthday Dave Brubeck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry James,, her name is Iola as in Iowa, not Lola.
by Ziks511 / December 6, 2010 5:34 PM PST
In reply to: that name

But thanks for the clip of one of my favourite bands doing one of my favourite songs.

Collapse -
Ray Davies.....coulda done better :(
by jonah jones / December 6, 2010 8:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Are you dismissing the Kinks entire oeuvre or just their
by Ziks511 / December 6, 2010 10:07 PM PST

first single "See My Friends"? If the former, we disagree, if the latter, I agree it's not my favourite Kinks cut.

Your link relates not to an album, but to the single, hence the identification of its B side in the side bar.

Rob

Collapse -
I think Pete Townshend summed it up well....
by Josh K / December 7, 2010 12:14 AM PST

....when he called Ray Davies "A f*****g genius."

He is a brilliant writer and has always been one of my favorite artists. He created the "Storytellers" concept that is still going strong on VH-1. I was fortunate enough to see him at a relatively small theater doing a Storytellers-type show. Some people were annoyed by all the talking but I loved listening to his stories.

Collapse -
I wish there was an Edit function!!!
by Josh K / December 7, 2010 12:15 AM PST

I completely forgot to mention that I saw Dave Brubeck at that same theater around 15 years ago. Great show!

Collapse -
oops!! seems to be a Firefox/Cnet glitch
by jonah jones / December 7, 2010 9:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Okay, Jonah, but Wikipedia still lists it as a single.
by Ziks511 / December 12, 2010 11:09 AM PST

Didn't you like any of their music? I've got vinyl of about 8 of their albums beginning with Lola ..., and I really enjoy them all. Apeman is a wonderful track, my son thought it was great at about the age of 3, and I loved Muswell Hillbillies and their renaissance in the Punk era.

Rob

Collapse -
see the link on the third line
by jonah jones / December 12, 2010 11:45 AM PST

For the 2010 Ray Davies album, see See My Friends (album).

loved a lot of their music (first 3 years at least) they
were so different to all rest

Collapse -
(NT) Smart prof.
by drpruner / December 11, 2010 12:40 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.