Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Happy 10 years Cnet!!

by shaner7575 / June 22, 2005 12:42 AM PDT

Hope to have you around FOREVER!!
You have no idea how this place has saved me in my 5 years of computing, and is still saving me! You've helped me through a ''Virus'', as well as teaching me how to defrag; cleaning out ''clutter''; choosing ''freeware'' that really works, without adding ''spyware''; ''PATIENTLY'' answering all my questions when my own software owners couldn't; keeping me computing ''safely'' with great advice on virus protection; firewalls; spyware software, etc.
The list goes on. . .
(Just learned about saving my ''Bunn'' on this forum!)

Anyway, Happy 10 years CNet, and Keep up the Great Work!!

I Love This Place!!

Judy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Happy 10 years Cnet!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Happy 10 years Cnet!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What,no cake?
by gooslojo / June 22, 2005 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Happy 10 years Cnet!!
Collapse -
I love this place, too
by TONI H / June 22, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

I started off with it when it was ZDNET in 1996......and merged into CNET two years ago or so.

Now if they would put the Mods back on the payroll, that would be the frosting on the cake again.

TONI

Collapse -
You certainly deserve that Toni
by gearup / June 22, 2005 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I love this place, too

back in 1996 I remember sending you an old mobo and a cpu chip which you used to build a puter for some needy person. Back then,of course, I used my own name,but people kept confusing me with Herb Chong so I had to get rid of me (Herb L).

Collapse -
Believe it or not
by TONI H / June 22, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

I still have your address in my roledex........unless you've moved.

After all these years, when I see 'gearup' posting, I hardly ever connect it with the real you.....it's the same way with many other oldtime members. I really wish many of you would come back with your real names again. I'm sure I 'talk' to many old friends and never know it anymore and that's sad.

I'm still building systems and giving them away. I gave one to a senior in highschool for Christmas through our local 'angel tree'. She was (probably still is) in a foster home and heading for nursing school...worked part time for McDonald's saving for a car first and THEN a computer. Built a really nice NEW custom system (no used parts in this one), complete, for her......it was a wonderful Christmas for me just getting to meet her and her foster parents. Really nice people......

TONI

Collapse -
Salaries are nice
by gooslojo / June 22, 2005 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Believe it or not

But nothing compares to the satisfaction we get when we do things out of the kindness of our heart.
Great story Toni!

Collapse -
What a Great Person!
by shaner7575 / June 22, 2005 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Believe it or not

Toni,
Just wanted to "Thank You" for sharing your talents in such a "special" way! Having the knowledge you have is incredible, but sharing it in the "thoughtful" ways that you do, is "PRICELESS"!

With caring moderators like you, Cnet will be around a LONG time.

Again, Thanks!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen!
by Angeline Booher / June 22, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: What a Great Person!
Collapse -
The bad part about it
by TONI H / June 22, 2005 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: What a Great Person!

is that I would prefer to do it all anonymously, but because the families here are pretty destitute who get the computers, I always include my name, phone number, and address and get theirs, too, so that if they need service on the systems I build, they get that for free rather than pay some outside yahoo who knows nothing about what I've built and installed and rakes them over the coals. I don't trust tech people at all.

I keep everything per unit in a pouch or envelope inside the case taped to the side so they always have a Belarc.com readout of hardware and software and product ID numbers with my information.....and they get the cd's for everything including the latest drivers for their hardware. I keep master copies of it all here so if they need to bring the system to me or I go to them, I have it handy in case they got careless and can't find their original stuff I gave them.

And they all have internet access with the free AVG and Ad-Aware SE......I try to leave nothing to chance; especially since I'm the tech 'guy'. LOL

TONI

Collapse -
Angels are Real
by shaner7575 / June 22, 2005 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: The bad part about it

Toni,
How I wish you were here. Still being a "newbie", but having my Compaq now for 5 years, I have been debating on adding memory or just going out and buying a new one. Of course my 16 year old son opts for the new one, and knowing my computer illitness he INSISTS! I am running windows 98SE with only 64MB of ram, and only a CDRom; can't even burn cd's! Adding memory would not add Cd burning, etc. Just upgraded to high speed internet and am in heaven!!
Anyway, if you were here, I would not only have a great computer, but I would also have ALL THE ANSWERS! I hate to think of all the "updating" which has to be done to the computers you buy off the shelves, and getting all the "bugs" out. As far as asking the techs for help you purchased the computer from, forget it! That's how I ended up here, which was really a "blessing" in disguise!
When I do decide to purchase a newer one, at least I know where I can go for answers!

Collapse -
email my profile
by TONI H / June 22, 2005 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Angels are Real

and give me your model name and number of your system and I'll download the specs for it and see what you can crank it up to for upgrading (W98SE is a GREAT and stable operating system version). You might be able to get off cheaper than you think.

Actually, once you have that information, go to http://www.belarc.com and run their free program...it will create an .html file for you on your desktop that you can then email to me and I can see what kind of hardware you already have.

TONI

Collapse -
Also
by TONI H / June 22, 2005 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: email my profile

include your email address in the message you send me.....the cnet email leaves that information out so I would have no way to 'reply to author'....

TONI

Collapse -
Thank You
by shaner7575 / June 22, 2005 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

Toni,
Your message is on it's way, and thank you for all the help you will be giving me. I feel guilty for taking up your time, but I am very thankful!!

Judy

Collapse -
BBR.com
by gooslojo / June 22, 2005 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

You might also try Broadbandreports.com. A very informative site that you can use to run speed tests,ping tests or the tweak test.I use a7 year old Dell with Win98 . And with the help of BBR and a few Microsoft updates(unadvertised--they want you to buy XP)my system runs like a top and tests at 2.7mb/s on a 3.0 DSL

Collapse -
Thanks for recognizing all of the people...
by Angeline Booher / June 22, 2005 5:22 AM PDT

...who gave advice and solved problems over 10 years.

I wish I could say I was among them, but I have been on the receiving end.

My first experience in the community was a link on my ISPs home page to ZDNet's "AnchorDesk", a lively place. From there I found their site that was (I can't recall the exact name) something like, "Ooops! What Do I Do Now?" I recall being so impressed that some of the responses from the mods had a smiley face. When I asked how to do that, they explained it was in their ZDNet software.

Off the top of my head I think there have been 4 or 5 software changes. Each time I thought, "Oh, no!" But I did become accustomed. This software is faster, and post appear promptly (the last one had a notice, "It may take 90 seconds for your post to appear".

Unlike Toni, I was never a paid mod, starting out with a green M.

SE began as Town Hall. TPTB realized that members would like to talk to each other about other topics.

If I have rattled on about stuff you already knew, I apologize. But this community is my window to the world, and I have "met" some great folks here!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
You're Welcome!
by shaner7575 / June 22, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

Angeline,
I also came across Zdnet community years ago, and believe me I would be ''bald'' today if I had not found it. The forums have been my life support for the past 5 years. Here I am treated like a ''newbie'', which I probably will be for life, but I'm not afraid to ask questions, and I don't care if people want to get a laugh, as long as I get a answer I can comprehend! And believe me I always have!! (Gotten answers, that is.)
You're lucky you moved up to moderator!! I'm lucky to have people like you I can direct the questions to! Just remember to have ''patience'' with me as the others have!
Some of my other, older, family members who are also of the ''FlintStone'' era consider me a ''moderator''. I do have some answers to their questions when they come home with a new computer, but sometimes I do have to point them to this website. I tell them to have it as their ''Home Page'', and they'll be fine!

By the way, this is my first time at the SE forum, since I thought it would be the appropriate place to post my original.
Glad I did!!

Judy

Collapse -
Speaking of welcomes...
by Angeline Booher / June 22, 2005 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: You're Welcome!

... welcome to Speakeasy!

This is where you will find me. As I said, I am a consumer of the Help forums, rather than a contributor. Like you, I believe asking for help is wise!

Happy to have you aboard!

There are lots of topics here, so you have a good chance of finding some that interests you.

BTW, I just thought of the name of that forum.... "Zikes!" Wink

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I'd like to give a shout out...
by gooslojo / June 22, 2005 7:35 AM PDT

to Grif,Bob Proffit and Kees Bakker in the win95/98 forum.They have helped me tremendously!!

Collapse -
Interesting CNET initiative being rolled out.
by James Denison / June 22, 2005 7:37 AM PDT
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050622/225679.html?.v=1

CNET Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq:CNET - News), today launched "Trade up to the Future," a goodwill campaign that makes it easy for consumers to trade in their old, unwanted technology products for cash, while simultaneously contributing money to their local schools. For each product traded in using CNET's hassle-free online system, CNET will donate 10 percent of the product's trade-in value to the consumer's local school of choice.

Trade up to the Future is part of CNET's 10-year anniversary celebration, which kicks off today with a series of events and special features that will roll out during the next few months (see today's related announcement for details).

CNET worked closely with Schoolpop (www.schoolpop.com), a leading provider of nontraditional fundraising and a subsidiary of LoyaltyPoint, Inc. (OTCBB:LYLP - News), to develop the campaign. Together, they created the CNET Trade-in Center (http://tradein.CNET.com), an easy-to-use online service that provides consumers an instant quote on the trade-in value of their used product. For example, if a consumer has an old digital camera, they simply visit the Web site to obtain its trade-in value, consent to the trade-in terms and conditions, and then print out a mailing label to send the camera in to Schoolpop, who resells the product and sends the consumer the pre-designated amount of cash back.

Donations can support any US-based K-12 public, private, or parochial school through Schoolpop's national network. A complete list of schools can be found at Schoolpop's website or at the CNET Trade-in Center so participants can find out whether their favorite school is already a Schoolpop customer. If it is not on the list, they can easily enroll their school. Parents and students are encouraged to rally together, get the PTA/PTO involved, or unite the school community in sending in their old products to take advantage of the 10 percent donation.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A great idea! Thanks for the info!
by gooslojo / June 22, 2005 7:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.