Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HandyCam DCR-SR40 and Mac Pro - is there any hope?

by edoaburns / January 30, 2007 12:11 AM PST

Can anyone tell me if I am ever going to find a way to use my HandyCam Hard Disk DCR-SR40 with my Mac Pro?

I bought the recommended software (by Sony) only to be told by Pixela (?) that it doesn't work on the Mac Pro.

Any ideas would be so appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HandyCam DCR-SR40 and Mac Pro - is there any hope?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HandyCam DCR-SR40 and Mac Pro - is there any hope?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to supply more info
by Dan Filice / January 30, 2007 4:59 AM PST

How are you connecting your Sony to the Mac? I'm assuming via USB. If so, go to your Application folder and open a program called "Image Capture" and within the preferences you can tell it to open automatically when any USB device is connected and powered up. Image Capture should show you the MPEG file on your camera's HD. Tell Image Capture where you want to save it, then download it. Now you need two software items to make this work and editiable in iMovie: 1.) Quicktime Pro: $30 upgrade on the normal QT that comes with your computer 2.) MPEG Streamclip: Free. Once you download the MPEG movie to your computer, open MPEG Streamclip and choose "Convert to DV" from the pull-down menu. Make sure you tell it to "demux" the audio, because most MPEGs from a camera have the audio embedded in the video and the audio won't show up as a separate track otherwise. Import the DV file into iMovie and you should be good.

That Sony camera is not the ideal camera for a Mac. A Mac is configured to download movies from a camera via a Firewire connection and use a DV file from a camera, not an MPEG. In other words, a mini-DV camera that records to tape was the best option. Sony cameras seem to be configured for their own brand of PCs, most of which don't come with a Firewire connection. Not sure what Sony was thinking of when they made their cameras like this.

Collapse -
Additional Issue with MPEG to MAC computers
by DEAN MARTIN / April 27, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

I followed all your advice, QT ($30), MPEG and MPEG ($20). I can now see the videos on my IMAC (Mac OS X 10.4.9)- but have no sound. Any additional download I've missed?

Collapse -
this may help, too...
by boya84 / January 30, 2007 9:01 AM PST
Collapse -
More accurate links for software
by Dan Filice / January 31, 2007 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: this may help, too...
Collapse -
Thank you all
by edoaburns / February 1, 2007 3:05 AM PST

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm glad to know there's hope!

Collapse -
Thanks again!!
by edoaburns / February 1, 2007 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you all

I got the answers I needed. Thank you all so very much as I was about to return this camera (-15% restocking fee Sad )

I am very grateful!

Collapse -
YAY!
by boya84 / February 1, 2007 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again!!

Thank you for letting us know we were able to help.

Collapse -
Firewire Connection
by gtoug11 / February 2, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: YAY!

Is there any way to get a firewire connection for the DCR-SR40?

Collapse -
Unless you have software....
by whizkid454 / February 2, 2007 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Firewire Connection

that needs to import via Firewire, USB works perfectly fine for transfering your movies. There is no quality loss as if you were using tape and transfering via USB because the SR40 records files not strands of video as does tape.

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by gtoug11 / February 2, 2007 10:27 PM PST
Collapse -
No...
by whizkid454 / February 2, 2007 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, but...

The SR40 doesn't have a Firewire connection.

Collapse -
I have an issue if anyone can help.
by uvuemysites / February 11, 2007 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: No...

I have sony SR-40 and a Mac Book Pro, How on earth do you get videos into imovie HD to edit? please give your input if you have any. thank you

Collapse -
ok I figured it out but..
by uvuemysites / February 12, 2007 12:16 AM PST

I got my video into imovie HD but there is no sound. Anyone have any suggestions?

Collapse -
Which program did you use...
by whizkid454 / February 12, 2007 4:34 AM PST

to get the video converted? Most I see here use Handbrake...

Collapse -
Audio
by Dan Filice / February 12, 2007 5:04 AM PST

The audio in your downloaded MPEG is contained in the video. Handbrake is often mentioned (I've never used it) or check my post a few up where I point to the two links for MPEG Streamclip and the Apple MPEG plug-in for this. MPEG Steamclip will open your MPEG movie, then you can choose to simply resave it at a DV file for iMovieHD. Make sure you choose "Demux audio" if it is given. This will save your movie as a DV file and the audio will be separated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?