General discussion

Handsfree Technology - looking for new car

I am in the market for a new car. Our area will implement a handsfree law soon, so I won't be able to drive and talk on my iphone. Does anyone have any comparisons on handsfree technology? I understand Ford has an exclusive arrangement with microsoft. I believe i could make and receive phone calls with this technology but won't be able to receive text messages. Does any car manufacturer have an arrangement with Apple? My office is my car, so this feature is quite important to my purchase.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Handsfree Technology - looking for new car
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Handsfree Technology - looking for new car
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
handsfree on GM

I am pretty sure that most newer cars integrate bluetooth so that you can use your phone and your minutes in your car without the need for another account. I have a newish GM car that works this way with my old iPhone (I love it). There is a mic in the pilar near my head and the sound comes out the speakers. I think Mazda offers this feature and would be surprised if it wasn't standard on most brands. You can opt to have satellite phone coverage using OnStar (GM), but you don't need to if you are only planning on using your phone with your current carrier. So look for "bluetooth integration" and you should be good to go.

- Collapse -
Handsfree research

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to receive text messages through your iphone as well? Based on my research with bluetooth you can receive phone calls but not text messages. Ford has integrated with Microsoft to allow for text message retrieval as well which is an important feature for my purchase. Do you know anything about this?

- Collapse -
Handsfree Technology

Hello winmouse123 please visit our website at www.got2bwireless.com you will like what we have for you if you have any questions feel free to contact me at tony@got2bwireless.com with our Handsfree unit you are able to send text, read and reply emails, update Facebook and Tweeter status, update your calendar, get turn by turn direction, search for restaurant, search for theater location and show time by using google and bing 411 all via voice. We offer this service for FREE for the first year, on our installed unit and on our portable device called the "Voice" FREE service for the first 6 months, with a renewal of $49.99 per year unlimited use. So hope this can help you

CNET Forums

Forum Info