Phones forum

Question

handicapped need phone

by nancypolk1 / July 13, 2014 11:35 PM PDT

I have degenerative osteoarthritis which means my hands will only get worse. I need a cellphone. Does anyone make an unlocked phone for me? Larger buttons would help. We use ConsumerCcellular.

It has to be uncomplicated, user friendly. I'm not very tech savy. And I'm on a modest budget.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: handicapped need phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: handicapped need phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2014 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: handicapped need phone

No Smart Phone I know of is uncomplicated, user friendly and all seem to cater to the tech savy. There are non-smart phones with big buttons and such but try this -> Call ConsumerCellular as we are talking non-tech here and ask. We won't use their web site.
Bob

Collapse -
No help
by nancypolk1 / July 14, 2014 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

Don't you think I already tried Consumer Cellular first? They just pushed their own merchanse and suggested a flip phone.

Collapse -
Smart Phones are not addressing your concerns
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2014 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No help

So big button flip phones are as close as it gets.

I don't get why it must be unlocked. That is, I do encounter folk that demand unlocked and sure, for a price you can do that but this usually means GSM phones and a long conversation why this is.

Some of them get upset over the entire cell phone business and claim the business is not addressing some segments but I see big button easy to use models so how is that not meeting the need?

-> As to unlocked, that's expensive as you have to pay for the non-subsidized models. Why break your bank for unlocked when you can get it cheap?
Bob

Collapse -
Unlocked
by nancypolk1 / July 14, 2014 9:45 AM PDT

We dropped Verizon at $70+ per month for Consumer Cellular at $20+ per month. Consumer Cellular was top rated by Consumer Reports. Consumer Cellular doesn't locked anyone into a multiyear contract.
Why would anyone stayed with Verizon, ATT, etc?

Collapse -
I didn't stick around either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2014 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlocked

Around here we have Ting, Virgin Mobile and others. No multi-year contract either.

Still don't get why you want to pay for the phone that well, could have you screaming later about the usual.
Bob

Collapse -
Unless you are moving...
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 1:28 AM PDT

...the idea of being 'locked into a contract' is really irrelevant. This is a notion that always seems to be something people complain about w/o actually thinking about what they are saying/posting.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 1:35 AM PDT

I don't know about you but I have encountered many folk that pay dearly for unlocked for what I have been guessing "is the principle" of the unlock debate. I make no debate about it but here we have a member mixing accessibility and unlocked. It's unclear to me if they are willing to pay the price.

As to Dragon Dictate and voice commands, the ADA seems to step in and squash such. That is, decades ago ATT wanted to make phone booths without a dial plate (OK, how many remember what that is?) ADA went against that as deaf folk could not use them.

File this under some title here. The moment you create a solution for one group, the other wants it stopped.
Bob

Collapse -
Locked v unlocked
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

Can oloy get Consumer Cellular service, the top rated company by Consumer Reports, with an unlocked phone.

Don't understand why you want us to abandon our new Consumer Cellular service for one of the legacy monopolies.

So no more comments about getting a locked phone from anyone. You are not helping.

Collapse -
Good to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Locked v unlocked

Now that we can drop the unlocked phone can you find ANY phone made today that works for you?

Collapse -
my original Q
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know.

What do you suggest? That was my original Q.

Collapse -
There are only 3 phones in my world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: my original Q

1. Flip phone.
2. iPhone.
3. Android phone.

Again, what phone came close to what you needed?
Bob

Collapse -
Recommendation
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 12:21 PM PDT

That was unhelpful. I asked for suggestions for what to buy. You haven't given me any assistence at all. Stop sending messages. They just waste my time!

Collapse -
I have a question.
by Oldartq / July 15, 2014 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Locked v unlocked

Which feature is most important, mobility or big button. As far as I have seen, big button only comes with home base phone. So if big button is the object then take a look at "wireless cellular home phone".

https://www.consumercellular.com/info/phones

By the way, I tend to agreed with you on the unluck phone especially you are already using their service.

Collapse -
Consumer Cellular
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 3:12 AM PDT

Rubbish. To use the top rated company, Consumer Cellular, they instructed us to purchase an unlocked phone. Don't be so patronizing.

Do you work for ATT, Verizon or one of the other high priced alternatives?

Collapse -
Because we need features & corp discount
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlocked

Just two examples of why I stay. I need free mobile to mobile calling for my extended family who is national & global. Using Skype, Google Voice & Facetime only works in certain situations vs the comforts of plan dialing Wink

W/o the free M2M calling I would definitely switch my retired parents to CC. Highly rated by AARP, etc.

Collapse -
What I believe she meant was...
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

...an unlocked GSM phone is necessary as a baseline, since Consumer Cellular is basically an MVNO that utilizes ATT's GSM (and perhaps also UMTS) network. Anything you bring in for CC must not be locked to another (non-ATT) GSM carrier, such s T-Mobile. Most Americans do not unlock their GSM handsets, so that's always a possibility if someone bought one via ebay, etc.

Collapse -
Unlocked vs locked
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 3:04 AM PDT

Why would you suggest we leave Consumer Cellular which is top rated by the impartial Consumer Reports testers? They require an unlocked phone. Can't have one without the other.

We need Internet access with our Cosnumer Cellular phone service. That's not a need met by flip phones.

Is anyone really happy with their contracts with ATT, TMobile, Sprint? I've never heard of a happy consumer locked into a contract with any of them.

Consumer Cellular and Jitterbug get mostly positive reviews.

Collapse -
Your posts told me why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlocked vs locked

They didn't meet your needs. Period. Why stick with any company that does not deliver the goods?
Bob

Collapse -
Your recommendation
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 5:10 AM PDT

You must work for Verizon or ATT or another one of those companies to take this position.

I never said or even implied that Consumer Cellular didn't meet our needs.

I am trying to buy a phone that is easy to use, that is unlocked so that I can begin to use Consumer Cellular, the top rated service according to Consumer Reports.

What company do you recommend?

Collapse -
Geez
by itsdigger / July 15, 2014 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Your recommendation

Get off your *** and do whatever you like ! This is beginning to sound like spam, you asked for input, you got it !

Digger

Collapse -
Now I am as annoyed as everyone else
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Your recommendation

You come here asking for advice, then clearly miss the boat entirely <sigh>. Use old school logic, amiga. Why doesn't CC provide the phone you require? If they don't, it's not unreasonable to state that they are not meeting your needs.

BTW, you are incorrect in your assertion that the phone has to be unlocked. It doesn't. That's merely an option to obtain/use a non-ATT or non-cc issued phone w/o a contract. Since CC uses the ATT post-paid network, you could also obtain any GSM/UMTS handset locked to ATT.

Keep in mind that in your very first post above you don't state that you are needing a smartphone or internet, you only say 'a phone', hence the discussion about flip phones.

Collapse -
one last time
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 12:25 PM PDT

We don't get a phone from Consumer Cellular because they get poor ratings from YOU and cost more than the same from Amazon.

Collapse -
From me?
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: one last time

Honey, I don't rate phones for CNET.

Collapse -
rating
by nancypolk1 / July 16, 2014 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: From me?

No you don't. Someone else does. Look at the Web site. It shows the pros and cons of dozens of different phones.

Collapse -
Consumer Cellular
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 2:08 PM PDT

Their directions were to buy an unlcoked phone. Period.

Collapse -
They simply left out the option of...
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Consumer Cellular

...going with a used or new smartphone that is locked to the ATT network. Since CC uses ATT's network, all their phones will work. That's how GSM service/handsets w/ SIM cards function.

It's no huge surprise that CC would prefer you buy from them, and keep you in the dark about your other options.

Collapse -
ease of use phone
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

Don't you think I've talked to Consumer Cellular multiple times? They only want to sell their own phones which are poorly rated by CNET.That is not a solution.

Collapse -
You are either nutso, or just misinformed
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ease of use phone

CNET rates the iPhone quite highly, and it *is* offered by CC.

Time to rethink your strategy of asking for help in a public forum maybe? You clearly have issues playing nice in the sandbox.

Collapse -
(NT) which iphone?
by nancypolk1 / July 15, 2014 12:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
They have the 4s, 5c, 5s
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2014 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: which iphone?

Just looked at the CC site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?