General discussion

Half Boot

Hi, can anybody help, i have just installed new Motherboard (ASROCK P4S61) and a P4 2.4gb CPU. I connected up to my orginal harddrive (Maxtor 40gb) which has XP on, however the bios comes up, recognises Hard Drive and CPU details then thinks about it, a blue screen with some text on flashes for a millisecond and the computer resets. It does exactly th same again and just keeps resetting on a loop. Is th CPU knackered, or have i do something wrong?

Goofs

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Half Boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Half Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Goofs, Did You Install The Motherboard Drivers?

If not, access the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the drivers for the new motherboard...

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Half Boot

Hiya Grif, thanks for getting back to me. I haven't downloaded anything yet, i have a CD with the drivers on, but i can't seem to get past the Bios kicking in screen, it searches master boot record and then resets.
However i've put the hard drive back in my old PC and it workd fine, i put an old 8gb hard drive on the new MB and it has worked fine. So now i'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict between the 40gb HDD and my new MB....god this is hard work.

Goofs

- Collapse -
Sounds like you are trying to...

avoid a reinstallation by simply swapping the hard drive with XP preinstalled )on another system) into the new system and that will not work. The HAL is most likely quite different as well as other components.

- Collapse -
Whats a ........

HAL. I've tried another hard drive from another system and that works fine...Mmm

- Collapse -
The HAL is...

the hardware abstraction layer--the interface of the OS with the hardware as XP does not allow direct application hardware access.

When you say " I've tried another hard drive from another system and that works fine...Mmm" WHAT EXACTLY do you mean? Is this 8 gig hard drive EMPTY or does it have an OS OTHER THAN XP installed?

XP does NOT transfer well from one computer to another--it has to be INSTALLED on the new computer with the new hardware. DOS and Win 9x on the other hand generally had little problem but then they also were lacking the security features of the HAL.

When you REPLACE the larger drive in the computer it was installed in it works "fine" simply because that is the computer and hardware it was INSTALLED ON.

To use the drive on the new motherboard you will HAVE TO REINSTALL the XP OS before it will ever boot to allow any installation of the also necessary MB DRIVERS. You could do a REPAIR installation that MIGHT work following the steps you can find at this link:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

The menu on the left side has links to each specific OS and once on that link another menu down the left side will lead to the steps for a REPAIR installation.

- Collapse -
MMm

Hiya Edward, thanks that does explain a lot, i'll try the link, but i think you might be right, i might need to back up my stuff and then format and reinstall xp on the 40gb drive. The hard drive i took out of another system (my wifes, boy is she not happy) works fine, it is 8gb, it has xp installed and it booted up no problem, i'm not if this has something to do with it being quite old or not or i just got lucky.

Thanks Again
Goofs

CNET Forums

Forum Info