TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Haggling for a tv

by dukerocker03 / November 19, 2005 10:45 AM PST

so im looking to buy a new hdtv and im looking at 23-26 inch lcd tvs because they have good price-performance ratios (from what ive seen) and im wondering if i can get a bigger size tv down to the prices of the 23-6 inchers or bring the 23-6ers down even more by haggling abit. so were is the best place to haggle abit to get the price down?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Haggling for a tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Haggling for a tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what town ?
by grimgraphix / November 19, 2005 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Haggling for a tv
Collapse -
my town
by dukerocker03 / November 19, 2005 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) what town ?

weve got a circuit citty and best buy thats about it

Collapse -
Some chain stores offer good deals on black friday
by grimgraphix / November 19, 2005 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: my town

I used to work at a Rex TV store (about 260 stores in chain) We often had coupon sales that amounted to about 10 % off at any given time. Sometimes it was coupon plus any sale price as well.

Friday morning after thanksgiving we would have double coupons + any sale prices as well. This could sometimes mean a $5000.00 TV for $4000.00. Smaller chain stores can give good deals sometimes.

a couple hints to negotiating.

Be nice. don't be an ***. Why should I give a good deal to a mean person. You would be surprised how many people forget this. Sad

Ask for a deal. You would be surprised how many people forget this.

Don't be afraid to ask about price guarantees. Buy it today if you can get next weeks sale price if it's better than todays price. I've seen plenty of people wait for a better price this time of year only to come back and find the item they want sold out. If it's in the box now and you want it, get it. Use a credit card for quicker price adjustments

Ask if the salesman works on commission. These folks want your business and will work to make you happy. I know because I worked straight commission for 5 years. BTW... Refer back to "BE NICE".

Know what you want and how to describe it. Don't waste a sale persons time... especially during the holiday season. I had a lady get mad at me one time, yelling at me "listen, I've been shopping since 6 this morning"... I didn't tell her that I had been working 16 hour days for the past 3 weeks and would continue to until the day after christmas. This time of year Time really is Money.

If you like the sales person and they have worked hard to help you, to educate you to the products features, to show you different models... then buy it from them. If the price difference is 50 or 100 bucks from one store to another then give the friendly salesman a chance to match it or offer an extra to make up the difference. Heck, if they can give you better service then spend the extra bucks. Look at how many "I hate best buy" rants are on google.

Unless it's a privately owned store - don't ask what price you can get for cash. The computer cash register doesn't differentiate from cash. We always got a chuckle from these pony traders.

Knowing what the product is, what it's worth and what you want is the key to any good deal. Asking for the deal and being nice while doing it is the other part.

I know there are a couple other people reading these forums that sell electronics. Any comments or disagreements?

grim

Collapse -
great points
by masterying01 / November 19, 2005 5:02 PM PST

definitely great points. i hate people that pull u aside when you are obviously talking to other customers....asking you for discounts on OPEN BOX tv's when its already marked down....or the first thing they say to you is "give me 20% off".

i know people in sales are suppose to tend to customers, but rudeness will never result in anything good.

also keep in mind that all companies (commissioned or not)...are there to make money. if they lose money on everything they sell...they would not be in business. just dont go overboard.

lastly, there are many people that abuse pricematch policies. if u want a deal, just ask...dont give bs quotes.

Collapse -
I was required
by grimgraphix / November 20, 2005 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: great points

to check on price quotes customers brought in if the seemed "too good to be true". Sometimes it turned out to be true, sometimes it was on different models, sometimes it was on open stock (open box/returns).

In any case, we did check... if we could give a better deal we did.

this sounds like spam but since I haven't worked at Rex TV for 2 years you can take it for what it is. We didn't have the biggest selection and we weren't the biggest chain but the double coupon sales (early bird till noon or 1) day after thanksgiving sale beat my employee discount. If you got one near by it might be worth looking into. We did have a web sight but it was crappy and often did not reflect store stock or store prices so check out the brick and mortar to see if they got what you want.

grim

Collapse -
Some chain stores offer good deals on black friday
by jcrobso / November 22, 2005 12:16 AM PST

You said it very well. I worked for FRY's in 2004.
I was there last night and they are stuffed to the gills with HDTVs. There are opening at 5am on Friday.
Right now they have the 52" JVC LCoS that lists for $3800 on sale for $2099. All most all stores are planing BIG sales on Friday so be ready. John

Collapse -
Good points all
by Josh K / November 22, 2005 2:20 AM PST

I once got 10% off just by asking (nicely) for it. It may also depend on the product; if something is just flying off the shelves, the salesman will have no reason to cut you a deal, as there will be someone right behind you ready to pay full price.

Collapse -
Video profit
by sirroundsound / November 19, 2005 12:00 PM PST

There is very little margin in video products.
If you think you can get a 1500.00 retail LCD TV for 1200.00 (or lower) good luck. There might be some on line seller willing to take your money, but you may not get a "new" TV.
If BB operates the same in the US as they do here, the sticker price is already supposed to be the lowest price, so their staff have no authority to "haggle".

If you want cheap on line pricing, check out
www.tigerdirect.com

Collapse -
i disagree
by masterying01 / November 19, 2005 4:54 PM PST
In reply to: Video profit

compared to other consumer electronics...video products have a LOT of margin. rather its $4500 tv's or $300 dollar tv's. margin on CURRENT technology is usually quite high on home theater products.

good example. best buy has a 32 inch westing house tv. regular price is $1299.99. cost is a little over $900. the tv is on sale thanksgiving week (the few days BEFORE black friday)
for $899. we lose money on each one we sell. but most likely people will get other things to make up for that margin loss.

Collapse -
Price Matching
by DCuerpoJr / November 19, 2005 8:51 PM PST

I work for CCity and we often get customers who want a "special" deal on just about any type of electronic device. The prices for any LCD flat panel tv continually fluctuate simply due to the fact that the profit margins are fairly high; almost higher than any other product we sell except Home Audio equipment; and we wish to spark interest in our products. When prices are extrodinarly low you'll probably notice that the 0% interest financing options are not as good as they were when the TV was at a higher price; that's simply due to the fact that banks charge the retailer a financing fee. The primary exception to the rule would be during the Holiday sales season. Stores like CCity, BB, and Sears often guarantee the lowest prices in town and if you find a lower price somewhere else they'll gladly beat it within 30 days of your purchase. The degree in which a sales associate will allow the customer to haggle really depends on the available profit margin of the product, demand for it, whether he's on commission, competitor pricing, and the overall integrity of the associate. For my store we offer the lowest prices in town guaranteed and we'll gladly beat any retailing competitor in town so most of the time we usually don't have to lower our prices any further. Then again its always a good idea to ask. Good luck with your search. (hope my DM doesn't read this lol)

Collapse -
getting a 32 inch sharp
by dukerocker03 / November 20, 2005 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Price Matching

well ive decided to get a 32 inch sharp and since ive found online you can get it in the 1300s im gonna print it out and show it to the cc rep and see if i can get the tv into the 1400 range... wish me luck

Collapse -
An alternate solution.
by urackon / November 21, 2005 3:26 PM PST

My i suggest by it online. It all likely hood you'll be able to find it much cheaper than you coould have negotiated. Plus no taxes for most online retailers. May I suggest bestbuyplasma.com ( yes they sell LCD's)they have good prices and service. There are of course other good places too.

Collapse -
possible tv's
by urackon / November 21, 2005 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: An alternate solution.

that one place i mentiond currently has a very high quality 32 inch samsung for 1295, it's nice. A 37inch 1080p westinghouse for 1599. If you want cheaper you can go for a no-name brand 32 in olevia for 1035 or a 30 in sceptre for 895( the olevia one is probably worth the extra dough over the sceptre).

Collapse -
Buy Panasonic
by sripree / November 22, 2005 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: possible tv's

Panasonic PT-44LCX65 sells for $1299 in CC.

it is a good deal.

Collapse -
Haggled at BB
by Most Muscular / November 22, 2005 12:49 PM PST

I went to a Best Buy store last Friday mostly just to take a look at the Panasonic Plasma TV I had my eye on (50-PX500U). I had read a lot about it on this site, among others and liked what I read but still wanted to see one in person. I was planning on buying it online but was very surprised when the salesman offered to see if he could match any price I had found yet.

He didn't match it exactly but came within a $100 of it which was close enough for me! I also ended up getting a HTIB, table, cables, and outlet box which he also discounted by 12%. This is in addition to the $300 gift card and Reward Dollars I will earn from this purchase.

You never know until you ask!

Collapse -
bestbuy
by yajeed / November 22, 2005 3:50 PM PST

Try Best Buy, you might get a good deal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?