HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Haditha surviving child: "I knew the bomb would explode"

by Evie / June 3, 2006 11:50 PM PDT
IMAN WALEED (ph), SEVEN KILLED IN HOUSE (through translator):

They entered the house, they burned the room, and my father was inside the room. Then they attacked my grandmother and grandfather and threw a bomb. Me and my brother, Abdul Rahman, were injured. I saw how they killed my mother, Asma (ph), and I saw how they killed my grandmother.

CHILCOTE: Iman (ph) is initially poised. She has clearly told the story many times. She needs no questions to prompt her.

IMAN (through translator): My grandmother, she decided to open the kitchen door. Before she opened it, she said, maybe they will break it otherwise. I wish she hadn't.

CHILCOTE: Iman's (ph) brother, Abdul Rahman, doesn't say much. The interviewer asked him to show his wounds.

Off camera, a voice in the room is heard asking, he didn't have a weapon. What danger did he pose? But there is an intriguing variation in Iman's (ph) account. The third time she tells it, she says she was expecting the bomb.

IMAN (ph) (through translator): I was planning to go to school. I was about to get out of bed. I knew the bomb would explode, so I covered my ears. The bomb exploded. The bomb struck an armored vehicle. I don't know if it was a humvee or an armored vehicle. When the bomb exploded, they came straight to our house.

CHILCOTE: The question is, was her expectation of the explosion a premonition? A fear based on the sound of the passing convoy? Or was it based on some knowledge? The interviewer does not follow up and says the 9-year-old got confused and got her story mixed up.

All three children were wounded. Iman (ph) and Abdul Rahman were treated at a U.S. hospital in Baghdad. Safa Younis says she wants tough justice for those who killed her family.

YOUNIS (through translator): I want them to be tortured and killed. And I want them to leave our country.

(Younis is another surviving child)

Well, well.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Haditha surviving child: "I knew the bomb would explode"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Haditha surviving child: "I knew the bomb would explode"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Puts things in a different light.
by EdH / June 3, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) im shocked:)
by Mark5019 / June 3, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
An obvious
by duckman / June 4, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

ROVE setup

Collapse -
The third time she tells it, she says she was expecting the
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

bomb.

What did she say the other 2 times?

Why wasn't that reported?

Also note

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

Collapse -
Yeah,
by duckman / June 4, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

disagree with the source so the point is wrong?

Collapse -
Even if
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah,

she knew.

The military did not handle the situation properly.

That is the bottom line.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and spoken from the arm chair warrior
by Mark5019 / June 4, 2006 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Even if
Collapse -
in case you haven't noticed
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 12:53 AM PDT

You're sitting in an armchair also, or maybe a rocking chair.

Collapse -
but i can at least
by Mark5019 / June 4, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

base my opinions on time served in a war zone
this armchair warrior served, so can you say same?

Collapse -
in a war zone
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: but i can at least

40 years ago?

U.S. military mourns 'tragic' Haditha deaths

Separately on Thursday, Lt. Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, Multi-National Corps-Iraq commander, ordered troops to undergo fresh training in legal, moral and ethical standards for the battlefield, in response to what the mayor of Haditha has called a ''day of catastrophe.''

I doubt the US military had this training when you were ''busy''.

IF they did, perhaps you could use a refresher course, just as the members that are presently serving are being required to do.

The times, they are a changing.

Collapse -
and
by Mark5019 / June 4, 2006 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: in a war zone

as i said i served in a war zone
the enemy is still the ones who shoot my fellow troops.
seems you have to serve in a war to actually have knowledge.

Collapse -
This is probably ...
by Evie / June 4, 2006 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: in a war zone

... PR. I'm quite sure our troops are well trained in proper conduct. All the training in the world can't make them anything but human, however.

Collapse -
How do you know that?
by Evie / June 4, 2006 12:45 AM PDT

Are you familiar with facts of the investigation we are not?

Rush transcript of the show. This is not a transcription error.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) he "Knows", because the media says so
by duckman / June 4, 2006 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you know that?
Collapse -
How do you know that?
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 1:51 AM PDT

I could just make a post, like this

U.S. military mourns 'tragic' Haditha deaths

The Washington Post on Thursday reported that the U.S. investigation into the aftermath of the killings is expected to say that some officers gave false information to superiors, who then did not check details.

A military source said it was evidence, including death certificates, indicating that many of the 24 civilians had been shot at close range that led to a full-scale criminal probe into the alleged massacre in March

And then say

Well, Well.

Collapse -
Go ahead ... there's enough of that going around
by Evie / June 4, 2006 3:18 AM PDT

The child knew of the IED. They weren't innocents after all.

Collapse -
How should they have handled it...
by EdH / June 4, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

to be proper? Do you know what happend in detail?

Isn't this what investigations are about?

Collapse -
And you know this how?
by C1ay / June 4, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
The military did not handle the situation properly.

How can you state this as a FACT when even the investigators do not know all the FACTS? Do you think FACTS are irrelevant? Do you think your assumptions are fair to anyone?
Collapse -
FACT
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: And you know this how?
Collapse -
But they may be barking up the wrong tree...
by EdH / June 4, 2006 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: FACT

IF it turns out the women and children were armed, for instance that throws it into a different light. It's looking now that they KNEW about the IED in advance so might be considered hostiles. I still say, wait for ALL the facts.

You don't KNOW it wasn't handled properly.

Collapse -
Perhaps the child's poise ...
by Evie / June 4, 2006 3:27 AM PDT

... and appearance of having told the story before w/o prompting demonstrate that not only did the children know, but were coached on what to say if there was an altercation. "Don't deviate from the script", stick to the story. The civilians cannot be presumed "innocents" and impartial witnesses here any more than someone else. Why does it seem the media and the left is so anxious to believe them and not us? Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
stick to the story.
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 4:05 AM PDT

Since the US doesn't pay terrorists.I guess they'll have to give the money back?

US Paid 2,500 Each To Haditha Victims' Families

Marines paid at least $38,000 to the families of Iraqi civilians killed in a November clash in Haditha.The payments were made in December,according to a report in the Denver Post that was confirmed by NPR

In another development in the case,investigators have been told that a seargent coaxed other Marines to come up with a cover story about the incident.The squad leader allegedly sought to prove his group was not at fault for the deaths.Of particular concern to the seargent investigators say,was the death of five Iraqis in a taxi after a roadside bomb exploded.They were unarmed Iraqis

And course the kid had told the story msny times, (not rehearsed) wouldn't YOU have told the story many times if it happened to you?

Collapse -
Then why did she say...
by EdH / June 4, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: stick to the story.

She expected the bomb to go off?

Which part of "the investigation is not over yet" don't you understand?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 4:59 AM PDT

You ask me this question

Which part of ''the investigation is not over yet'' don't you understand?

I understand the investigation is not over yet.

One of the things terrorist do is

plant a bomb

go to an innocent civilians house

Wait

Blow the IED

Then run or fight.

The people in the house know about the bomb but are not involved in placing, detonating or planning.

They're INNOCENT.

The military are hit

They retaliate, and start shooting, anyone and everyone

How about that scenario?

Collapse -
How about that scenario?
by EdH / June 4, 2006 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

The investigation is not over yet.

Collapse -
How about this
by JP Bill / June 4, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

We both wait

And one of us will be able to say

''I told ya so.''

and the other will say

"Yes, you were right."

Collapse -
I have not made a claim one way or the other...
by EdH / June 4, 2006 6:50 AM PDT

so I won't have the opprtunity to say "I told you so."

Collapse -
How are the military to know?
by Evie / June 4, 2006 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

Sorry, if they were innocent, their deaths are on the hands of the terrorists that used them as decoys/cover.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) She KNEW the IED was going to go off. NOT innocent. Q
by Evie / June 4, 2006 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: stick to the story.
Collapse -
Fact
by C1ay / June 4, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: FACT

No one knows what the TRUTH is yet.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.