Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Had xp lost drives

I put XP Pro on my computer and everything was all right for a little while (about one month) then all of a sudden I lost all my drives except the hard drive I used anti-virus programs but still no luck.I went to microsoft and they told me to try somethings but that didn't work either and I got tried of waiting for microsoft so I formated my hard drive and reinstalled everything and every thing was fine for about a month agin. If I boot from a floppy and install cd-rom program I can use the cd-rom drives for one only time and then it goes back to where I have no drives agin.I was wondering if this was a bug in my XP program or not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Had xp lost drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Had xp lost drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Few questions and suggestions

In reply to: Had xp lost drives

1/ what did Microsoft tell you to do?
2/ why are you booting to a floppy to install a program from a CDROM - why not just boot to the CDROM (do this by setting boot sequence in the bios - press DEL at boot to enter the bios)
4/ What is this boot disk and where did you get it from?
5/ What is this program - seems like this maybe causing the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know the above.

In the mean time do the following:-

6/ Look in "device manager" and see if you can see any yellow or red symbols (which are warnings and errors)- In particular look if your devices are working in legacy mode.
7/Look in "accessories/systems tools/sys info" - see if everything is OK, in particular "components/problem devices"
8/ Update your motherboard, bios and CDROM drivers and firmware.

Please let me know the answer to the above questions and results of my suggestions.
Peter

Collapse -
few questions and suggestions

In reply to: Few questions and suggestions

Microsoft told me to restore to a point where everything works, which I did and still no drives. The reson I booted from a floppy was because it was the only thing that even halfway worked. I shut my machine down ,inserted the flopy installed the cd-rom program and I got to use my cd for one time only and then no more drives including my floppy. Every thing on the hard drive that I have installed works just can't use any of my cds or floppys. The floppy only works to boot up the computer after one time nothing. I will go into and see if I can do what you suggested I am new to computers and getting upset with this one.

Collapse -
The usual is...

In reply to: few questions and suggestions

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!