Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

had pop up my computer was infected

by gwingee / July 5, 2010 2:20 PM PDT

got out of there and did a scan with Microsoft essentials...it found
a Trojan Downloader HTML renos...it removed it..said it was severe..
but now some friends are telling me I should wipe clean the hard drive and re install my operating system...Which is Windows 7 ..broadband connection..do I have to do that? I thought the purpose of the virus scan was to find and remove...should I worry I have something lurking? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: had pop up my computer was infected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: had pop up my computer was infected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No need to clean install WIndows 7
by Donna Buenaventura / July 6, 2010 1:30 AM PDT

Try the suggestion of Bob to verify that the system is malware free. If online scanner found no virus or malware, Microsoft Security Essentials has helped you.

Collapse -
by gwingee / July 6, 2010 2:19 PM PDT

so far I did the SuperAntiSpyware and it found 384 adware tracking cookies/ that seems like way too much...
will try the others and post back ...let me know what you think.

Collapse -
just did the emisoft
by gwingee / July 6, 2010 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: well

says my PC is infected with 2 malware objects. and that this is only a fast scan that does not include all areas of the PC..A deep scan will most likely find many more infections..says my PC is at high risk? Now I am getting nervous...

Collapse -
Tell us what EmsiSoft MalAware found and the location of the
by Donna Buenaventura / July 6, 2010 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: just did the emisoft

We need to make sure it's not a false positive.

Collapse -
ok did the same scan I did last night
by gwingee / July 6, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

and it found again 2... both trymedia
and is saying the same thing..but last night I clicked for it to clean up so obviously it did not..because I have not used the computer since then and now I just logged into here..???? h key local machine software
trymedia systems and the same again with active mark software
for the second added at the end....????

Collapse -
You got games that is using TryMedia which is known adware
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

Since EmsiSoft is finding it, proceed to install the free edition of their program: http://download.cnet.com/A-squared-Free/3000-8022_4-10262215.html
This program will scan more location than the MalAware edition. Quarantine the detected items and do another scan until it says no more threats.

I'd like to suggest also to scan again but using Malwarebytes free scanner and remover of malware:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html so we're sure there's nothing missed by other scanners.

Collapse -
I already have Malwarebytes
by gwingee / July 7, 2010 5:39 AM PDT

and I did scan with it and it found nothing but that Emisoft keeps finding the trymedia..I do play comcast . net games..
maybe coming from that?
will try another full scan

Collapse -
If your games is using TryMedia service
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 11:53 AM PDT

then that's why. Not sure if comcast games is installed in your local hard-drive or you are playing it online?

Yes, try a full scan to see if there's more to find than TryMedia registry keys only.

Collapse -
I play the free trial of the games
by gwingee / July 7, 2010 10:47 PM PDT

so it downloads something and I play for an hour..could that be it?
I have the Windows Essentials which is a virus and spyware scanner and I have Malwares Anti Malwares...should I have something else ????

Collapse -
No, there's no need add anti-malware
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 11:54 PM PDT

Malwarebytes as your on-demand scanner and then Microsoft Security Essentials as your real-time malware/virus protection is OK already.
The rest is only to be use when you want to verify that nothing is missed by the first two scanners.

Since it's trial game only, remove it manually. See if it's in add/remove programs or in add-ons manager of the browser. If not, let EmsiSoft deal with it. See if it'll succeed in removing the adware trymedia after the full system scan.

Adware is a threat too but depending on how it works. There are malicious ads that can infect machines so avoid adware software unless you are sure that the provider of ads is filtering their ads for malware/rogue ads.

Collapse -
trojan horses
by brianwoods39 / July 6, 2010 11:01 PM PDT

as name suggests trojan horse is eally difficult to remove as it masquerades as a normal program you try partitioning your hard drive and quarantining it there ?.
I know using net does not guarentee safety system wise but these idiots who think its a joke to infect somebodys system need putting down or have it done to them ie total system failure

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?