Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Had a problem with booting XP two weeks ago, and

by TONI H / February 12, 2004 1:01 AM PST

could only seem to resolve it by reinstalling XP which wiped the partition and started over from scratch since there doesn't seem to be an option to just install over the top of itself to repair/replace files like you could with the other versions of Windows. Perhaps somebody could shed some light on how to resolve this if it occurs again...

Had a power outage in the middle of the night that lasted about fifteen seconds. Computer is plugged into a UPS and the computer was turned off completely at the time of the outage.

I woke up the next morning, booted up and got a dos looking screen telling me that XP couldn't boot up because the following file was missing or corrupt...

\Windows\l_intl.nls

I couldn't get into safemode either to do a restore to the previous day due to the same error screen.

I used the XP cd to get into the Recovery area and finally figured out to copy that file from the i386 folder/directory of the cd to that location and I was able to reboot ONCE....and get to the desktop. I didn't do a restore at that point because I believed the problem was resolved.

I shut down the computer as another power outage occurred as I got to the desktop at that point...the UPS kicked in and gave me time to shut down properly.

Four hours later when the power came back on, I could not get the computer to boot up anymore...same error screen over and over and no matter how many times I repeated the steps I took before, including renaming the old file or deleting it completely in order to replace it, the computer never went any further.

The only solution I could see for myself at that point after another three or four hours of playing with this was to reinstall XP.

Any hints, clues, tips on how else it could have been resolved?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Had a problem with booting XP two weeks ago, and
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Had a problem with booting XP two weeks ago, and
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Had a problem with booting XP two weeks ago, and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 1:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Toni...you can use this method to repair a corrupt XP...
by David Chan / February 18, 2004 10:21 AM PST
Collapse -
NT Thank you, David...I printed it for the next time
by TONI H / February 18, 2004 8:23 PM PST

nt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.