Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Hacking issue

by abuccino / March 11, 2008 11:32 PM PDT

Something really weird and horrible happened to me. A person hacked my password to a yahoo email account I use. The incredible thing about it is that there was no way this person could have known my account user name. How can a person uncover an account only I and yahoo knows exists?

Is it possible for a hacker to actually take over my computer from a remote computer? I was wondering if this hacker was able to follow my actions and see what I see?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hacking issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hacking issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: "no way this person could have known my account ..."
by Edward ODaniel / March 12, 2008 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Hacking issue
user name"

EVERYONE who has received or seen an email from you through that Yahoo accound KNOWS YOUR USERNAME.

As far as "hacked my password to a yahoo email account I use", a dictionary attack could have been used or simply a lucky guess.

What exactly makes you think your password was actually "hacked"? If it is because you got back an email that you never sent that was maybe rejected because the recipient was unknown, that is a common result of a spammer just using your Yahoo (or other provider) email username while spoofing. You get it because your account is genuine so it accepts the return. The COMPLETE header info of the email would show where it actually originated.
Collapse -
not understood
by abuccino / March 12, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

sorry if I wasn't clear about my issue. there are only 2 people who know that username. Me and another person. That other person would never reveal it. someone found out that username and hacked its password. took all the emails and forwarded them to a 4th person. there is no possible way the hacker would know this username unless they either has access to yahoo account info or if they took over my computer at night when I left it on and saw it open to that yahoo account. there is a possibility that I left it open and that hacker saw it when they took over my computer. my question to you is if it is possible for a hacker to do that?

Collapse -
Have You Run Anti-Trojan/Spyware Scans .....
by tobeach / March 12, 2008 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: not understood

to see if a trojan in the past has dropped a "keylogger" onto your machine? This would give remote access to everything you type including but not limited to account info,passwords, credit card & banking info..
whatever you enter thru keyboard.

Some more advanced types can capture "screenshots" pictures of what you're seeing on your monitor.

Try Avg Free 7.5 AS. This link has download info plus install instructions & scanning advice:

You might also scan for a rootkit as well. Rootkits, after installing themselves, erase all tracks of their entry including registry entries. AVG also has this as a Free utility. Right side of page:

Honestly, I suspect someone you know or who knows you & could guess password as being more likely. An ex-girlfriend trying to warn a new girlfriend? Just a W.A.G. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Public Wireless
by Bugbatter / March 13, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: not understood

Do you ever use public wireless (at restaurants, coffee shops, hotels, public library, etc.)?

Collapse -
yes but...
by abuccino / March 13, 2008 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Public Wireless

That is not how it happened. I know the person who has been doing it. Or I should say..the person who hired the hacker to do it.

She is an former friend of my girlfriend. She want's to break up our relationship. She monitors my emails and is somehow able to see exactly what I see on my computer. Every time I write a friend who happens to be a woman this former friend forwards the emails to my girlfriend.

My girlfriend is not in on this. I am certain of that. When this began happening a year ago my girlfriend told her off and cut her out of our lives.

After that was said, this former friend wrote me and email stating she would do everything in her power to break us up. She is dumb as a rock and knows very little about computers. So I suspect she hired someone to do this.

I just had a converstation with the computer wiz at work. He told me what you people have told me...that I have a spy or virus that enables her/him to tell when I am online by recognizing my IP. Then she monitors my activity. She/he also has a program that will determine my passwords (which I change once a week). She also has the ability to take over my computer and generate emails that appear like they are coming from me.

I have been advised to do a clean install of my OS. And use Spybot and Adware to remove all issues and to run them frequently to insure my safety.

Meanwhile I have contacted the police.

Pretty heavy isn't it?

Collapse -
Heavy indeed...
by glenn30 / March 13, 2008 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: yes but...

I would reformat that hard drive pronto using DOD security and reinstall the operating system. Save any data files or anything else you cannot afford to loose before doing this.

Recommend checking over the computer to assure some device has not been secretly attached and unknown by you. This should be easy to spot either internally or externally or attached to cords or inserted into them. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck,

Collapse -
DOD Security?
by abuccino / March 13, 2008 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Heavy indeed...

I have performed a clean install of windows xp before but I am not aware of DOD?

Thanks for the help. This has gone way beyond the weird. This former friend actually created a yahoo account. pretended she was me and communicated with a woman with it. Then told my girlfriend it was me! I think she took over my laptop to do this so the emails may have my IP as it's source!

Collapse -
by Bugbatter / March 13, 2008 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: DOD Security?

Now that you know how this happened and suspect who did it, a flatten and reinstall is definitely in order.
DOD = Department Of Defense??

Collapse -
I Thought This Was Just Too Familiar A Tale...
by tobeach / March 13, 2008 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
yes that was me too
by abuccino / March 14, 2008 4:45 AM PDT

This person has been pestering me through the internet for over a year! I finally contacted the police in the town she lives. Can't say for certain if they can charge her because so far she hasn't caused me any financial losses. "All" she has done is cause friction between me and my fiance and also make me feel like my personal space and time have been violated.

Anyway...to summarize I should:

1) change my back card # and checking and savings account #s.

2) perform a clean install of XP

3) install and frequently run Spybot and Ad Aware and a good anti virus program

4) install a firewall

5) contact my ISP and change my IP address

6) change all my passwords on all my email accounts at least once a week

7) make certain my computer is turned off when I am not using it.

If that covers it all please let me know? Of if it doesn't please add to my list? And if you can recommend a good firewall and antivirus program it would be appreciated.

A friend told me that Windows One Care handles it all.

Collapse -
(NT) ZoneAlarm Free firewall & AVG Free anti-virus is good start
by glenn30 / March 14, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: yes that was me too
Collapse -
One Program
by Bugbatter / March 14, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: yes that was me too

If you have been bothered by this same problem for so long, I am surprised that you have not taken these steps before.

I would not rely on one program that "handles it all".

Collapse -
by abuccino / March 14, 2008 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: One Program

better late than never. She is really getting out of hand. My thoughts were that if we ignored her she would go away. But apparently her life is so boring and miserable that she finds this fun for her. She is a total waste of life and wants to bring down everyone who is happy. Now finally realize I need to act against her. Create a good defense and go on the offensive more.

Thanks for your help. Installing and running all that protection stuff will be a pain and it will slow down my internet speed, but that is a small sacrifice compared to what she could do to me and my fiance if I let her continue without taking these steps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?