Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hacked through Yahoo Messenger??

I've heard that people can hack into both your Yahoo account AND computer through just chatting on Yahoo Messenger; is this true? What can I do to protect myself? Would using a proxy server help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hacked through Yahoo Messenger??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hacked through Yahoo Messenger??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's possible

In reply to: Hacked through Yahoo Messenger??

It's possible, though the latter is extremely unlikely if you're only sending text messages, no links, images or anything else. And there's little you can do to protect yourself beyond not use high risk programs. A proxy server will not help and anyone who claims that will somehow increase your security is someone who has proven they know basically nothing about computer security.

Honestly, a far more credible threat is the amount of personal and potentially sensitive information Yahoo can collect on you through using their official client. That then gets sold off to third parties who will do who knows what with it. Facebook, Twitter, and all the rest are the same way. Someone with sufficient desire to do so, could learn a great deal about you and use that to make your life rather miserable.

Collapse -
Thank You.

In reply to: It's possible

You said it is extremely unlikely, but it is still possible? I've read stories online about how scammers can get you IP address and that is all they need to hack into your computer and download keyboard tracking programs and other things. How about my phone? Would I be vulnerable with Yahoo messenger on my phone?

Collapse -
No

In reply to: Thank You.

No, if you're running Yahoo messenger on your phone, all any potential attacker would be able to do is attack your phone, not your computer.

But let's just make it rather clear: The idea of the "hacker" is a myth. These days it's all about the money. People don't give a gerbil's rear about planting a virus or whatever else on your computer, unless it's to make it part of a botnet they can use to extort money out of website owners or to mine bitcoins or something like that. Otherwise, they're after personal information they can make money off of. Email address, phone numbers, passwords, bank account numbers, credit card numbers... Anything that can be used for some kind of identity theft or as part of a phishing campaign. Given the wealth of such information on the average person's phone, that is what you should be concerned about. Same as when you give it out because a site like Facebook or Twitter asked for it. You should be asking yourself who else will have access to this information and what they could possibly do with it.

Of course this isn't to say there aren't still some real "hackers" out there, but unless you go running your mouth off in places you shouldn't, you are of no significance to them and they will focus their attentions on much higher profile targets. For those of not in charge of computer security for a fortune 500 company or government agency, all we tend to need to worry about are automated tools that probe for known vulnerabilities and controlling our instant gratification impulses by not giving out personal information in exchange for some trinket.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: No

Yes, that was what I was asking, whether an attacker can attack my phone.

Collapse -
Let's be honest. The app lies.

Collapse -
Hacked through Yahoo Messenger

That is true i have once been a victim of that so when you are using it be careful with the kind of the details or files you let out okay.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.